Monday, January 08, 2007

No more drinking?

Folks, I've kept this a little quiet over the past week for good reason. I went to the doctor at the end of December complaining of a sore throat. Mind you, a sore throat that had bothered me since November. She said I was to take Prilosec, stop drinking and give up caffeine. Now, you all know me well and know that there are three things I can't imagine living without. One being oxygen, the other two being coffee and beer (not necessarily in that order). So, I've been put on the diet from hell.
I didn't say anything, as there are certain things one must do on vacation. Drinking is one of them. I offer these pictures as proof.

These pictures are from a German Restaurant on 3rd Ave. - Rolf's - in Manhattan. We stopped because of the Matterhorn painting on the side of the building, and walked in to find the Liberace Christmas Collection hanging from the ceiling. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the gayest not gay bar in the whole world. I'm pretty sure that I can say that with reasonable assurance. What you are getting here is just a sampling. These are the just the decorations in front of and behind me, as well as those behind Steve. There is still another half of the bar and the dining room covered in decorations.





With all due respect to my brethren, I didn't know something like this was possible. There's a bar here in SF, Marlena's, that everyone raves the christmas decorations of. It's a pathetic Kmart Blue Light Special display compared to Rolf's. It was simply amazing, and well worth the damage I may have caused to my intestines while enjoying a few beers here. However, the doc says these need to be the last beers for awhile.
It is with this that I announce my intention to abstain, for the most part, for the next month. I have the marathon in a couple weeks and then I will have a few weeks after that to recover before beginning the next training. I'm hoping that after a month things will clear up and I will be able to begin abusing my body again. At the moment I can't decide if it is the caffeine or the beer that I miss most. It's a toss up. But, when you bring in Rolf's the answer would absolutely have to be the beer.

Cheers

5 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Oh my dear brother-in-beers, I am truly saddened by the news. However, I would much rather have a living, sober Sixpack Chopra than non at all. That doll in the background of your picture is TOTALLY creepy. Just thought I would add my two cents ;) HEY! WHAT IS WITH THE HAIR???????? If you are Sixpack Chopra, I feel like you should keep the bald head! ;)

dr. deetschei said...

Hey Man! We will all drink for you. I promise you that. :)
Besides, you don't need any alcohol before the marathon anyway. That's what post-race celebrations are for. I think 4:15 is in your scopes. You know what to expect, and are better prepared to handle it.

Sixpack Chopra said...

P.P.: Sixpack Chopra had to grow back his hair for the winter, but promises to at least contemplate a bald pate for the summer.

DJ: My plan for the race is to head out with the 4:15 pace group and see how I do, if things go rough I'll just hang behind. I'll see how my times are heading into next week, if I'm feeling better, I may even try the 4:00 pace group. My legs are in great shape, so I honestly think 4 may be within reach. I'm thinking if I can't cut it, I'll just slow it down until the 4:15 group catches up. Please advise if you think this is a bad idea.

Clyde S. Dale said...

For starters six pack, I have heard that your condition (acid reflux) runs in your family. If you cut back on the whine or cut it out and all the acid foods, well then drinking beer shouldn't be a problem. Pizza with no sauce? Actually it's quite good, Lay off the heavy oils and stick with beer. I know that shrimp is good, would you like me to name the different ways to prepare the shriiiiimp?
Now for the hair I cut mine before I went to SF and have continued to cut it every three weeks since then. I even tried to get Denise to shave it, (me not her and my head not my head) but no go. So I believe with the difference in temp from my home to yours that P.P. is right SHAVE THAT HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Listen y'all. I just paid $40 for this haircut. I'm not shaving for at least 6 weeks. After that it's fair game.