Friday, January 12, 2007

I need help

At least more than what a therapist can do. My times are continually going up higher instead of lower. I think a new play list with no memories attached may help, but I need some advice on what to do other than that. My pace on new years day was 9min 38sec for a 5 mile run. since then my time has just gotten worse with last nights 5 mile run being the absolute all time low of 10min 48sec pace. Any pointers on how to get out of this downward spiral? I don't want it to drag me down! I have a long way to go to run a marathon and my will power is dropping because of my times. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

Hey Forest,
I tried responding to Don's comments/question on Saturday, but it looks like they either got moderated into the ether by the new program, or simply weren't submitted properly.
I agree with jogi though, leave your watch at home for a couple days and just go out and enjoy the run. Breathe in the fresh air and appreciate the scenery.
Also, Don is right about varying how you run. Jog some days, run harder others (shorter distances), and then take days off. Rest is the best. I had to take a week off when I was training for my first marathon due to illness. I came back fitter and faster than ever. By a long shot.

Dude, don't get frustrated. Get reflective. It sounds like you've accomplished so much in the past year. Be proud of that and use that pride to get over your current speedbump:)

Your first goal in a marathon is to finish- I believe Don and I both topped 11 minute averages in our first marathons, firmly behind quite a few old ladies and a couple of dog walkers. We can all fret about speed later.

BTW, what training plan are you using?