Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Goals Goals Goals

I think it's great that Don kept the floor for a day. It's like removing your point guard right before game's end so that the crowd may give him, and only him, a standing ovation. He deserves it.
Right now I'm actually sick in bed. I have an odd cold that leaves me with just enough energy to crawl downstairs and watch bad television. Last night I did get up to eat a red curry duck but that was about it.

If you remember, about a month ago I configured three four-week goals with www.Nike.com/nikeplus (in addition to the race Don and I have to 300 miles.)

Basically, they looked like this:

Distance: 50 miles
Speed: 10 runs in under 9:30
Frequency: 15 total runs

I have, officially, reached all goals with over three days to spare. Of the three, the frequency goal fell the quickest because I was running two-a-days at least twice a week. Adding a quick two or three miler in the morning really adds up! The speed work fell quicker than I thought too. Two mile runs are inherently fast runs, and it didn't take long to get my rhythm back from the duldrums of pre- and post-marathon fatigue. I underestimated the freshness of my legs, and I'm feeling fast. The last one to go was the distance, but that's partially attributable to a few days in Vienna and another couple of days off this weekend when some friends from London arrived on our doorstep. I wanted to be over with it by Friday, but managed to sneak out the door after we dropped them off to push me over, with three days to spare.
SO, once the clock runs out on those goals (day after tomorrow, I think), I'm setting up a new four week challenge to keep my motivations up during this late arrival of winter:

Distance: 65 miles
Speed: 10 runs under 9:00
Frequency: 16 total runs

The speed looks like a bigger jump than it is. My first goal was set artifically high (which I didn't know at the time, but I subsequently exploited it for cheap ego boosts). I'm not altering the frequency goals much because I will be running less two-a-days once I feel like I have a better base. Other than that, the distance should be doable.
I realize my posts have been both dry and sparse since I started again. I need distance for creative motivation, and will start working on that soon:)

I would love to hear what goals everyone else has set for the next week, two weeks, or month! It would be great to look back on the posts after we all have acheived them:)

Congratulations again Donno! You did a fantastic job. Now get healthy, you've got an eager challenger for first to 300 miles:)

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Way to go Daytonio!!!! Sounds like things are getting back on track. Keep up the runs and you'll be back in the swing in no time. I'm always impressed that you can do two a days. I have troubles most days doing the one I'm supposed to do.

I'm still going to kick your ass on the 300, even if I forgot my chip at home for the race.

dr. deetschei said...

You didn't bring the chip to the marthon? Oh dude, you have no chance now. I'm just warming up!