Sunday, January 14, 2007

My week of running

First let me say that this has been the busiest month long vacation I have ever had. It's just been nonstop. I still haven't accomplished all of what I wanted to get done, but I did get a good bit done, which is great. Next week classes start, so I have to get in gear for that. Although I only have one class and my exams. Seems simple right? But that's not running. That's me whining about my life, which I really have no right to do.
So here's running. I'm on taper so I was not expected to cover much ground this week, but with injuries I've been having troubles even with those. Injuries you say? Not serious ones, but I'm really starting to accept a certain amount of pain as the way things are.

Injury 1: Would you believe I may have broken a toe? I've been taping it to another toe for a week and it is doing well, but as soon as I forget to tape it, I have a bit of pain. If it's truly broken, this means 3 broken toes in my life. Only 7 left. Not bad.

Injury 2: Shin splints, still a problem, but stretching and a nice slow warm up run really helps. I'll be getting up very early the day of the marathon so I will have time for a jog around the mall before the race. Yes, the race starts at a mall. I love America!

Injury 3: Anyone remember the left knee pain I was whining about before the last marathon? Well, it seems to be back. I'll be making a PT appointment on Monday so that I'm already in the system if things go wrong next week, but I'm hoping with the rest, i.e. inactivity, of this week, it will work itself out. It doesn't hurt once I get running unless there's a hill. Going down hill is really not cool, but as I understand there aren't many hills in the San Diego course. Nothing like SF anyway.

So, with all that going on, I still managed to do 11 of the 16 miles I was supposed to do. I decided to not do today's 5 thinking the stress to my knee could worsen the pain, and be more detrimental than the missed run would be.

Overall impression:

Total miles: 11
Time: Not so easy to calculate without my excel spreadsheet, which I've not been good at keeping up now that I have the Nike+
Average mile: 9:46
Overall Impression: Sixpack, Please Help Me Keep It Together Long Enough To Cross The Finish Line (SPHMKITLETCTFL)
-- Does God pray to himself?

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

Almost there, Donno!
We're rooting for you. I'll give you call later this week. Take it easy on the legs, rest, and visualize the track while trying to anticipate where your problems might arise. Then get drunk. Drunk drunk drunkity drunk. (I guess that last command was techincially directed towards Julie, since she's footing the liver bill here)