Monday, January 29, 2007

7 Miles

I don't have too too much to report, since I've dialed things back a little because my cold has moved south into my chest. There are a few things to report though:

I finished 7 miles today for the first time since the marathon. It was pretty relaxed. I never pushed it, and finished with a 9:15 average. I was pleased, but coughed up some really interesting things afterwards. I'm now considerably lighter without all of that lung weighing me down.

Tessa's running is getting better. We decided to have a little race about a week ago. She would run 2 miles and I would run 3- the first one home wins. She beat me (about 22:35 to 24:30)! I really didn't have much of a chance since I set off on a blistering pace that melted the hair off my ankles and couldn't sustain it- BUT Tessa had to up her pace as well. I would have taken her if she had run the same speed of her previous two runs. I'm proud of her progress, and all it took was me chasing her for her to get faster...kinda like all my elementary school crushes.

I'll be running in Frankfurt this week, since I'll be researching at archives there. I'll let everyone know what its like to run along yet another German river (ooh, look! A barge!).

3 comments:

Nick said...

Dude! Way to go, once you're coughing stuff up you're getting somewhere. So are you familiar with Fartlek running? If not have a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
So give this a try, see if you can't get to where you're breaking off a 7-minute mile here or there, then try for a 6-minute mile. Then, make like a Kenyan. If you don't already have an mp3 player, you should get one of those too and load it up with some Rage or some such angry shit, that by itself is liable to take a minute or so off your mile times. The goal here is we need to get your mile time down a bit so we can bust out a few fast miles along the Thames or whatever scenic English thing might happen to be near Braintree. Word?

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Is that Nick of Marathon Nick? If so, you need to properly introduce yourself to the group, my boy! No skulking around in the background with a comment here or there!!!

dr. deetschei said...

He was introduced. Months ago.