Tuesday, January 09, 2007

can't get you outta my head

yeah, i just can't get you outta my head.

damn you, kylie.

i officially started running again today. it has been two years since i trained regularly... and a year since i ran at all... and so to get myself pumped up and out the door, i put together a rockin' playlist for my ipod shuffle.

it got me thinking about how important music can be for training... a particularly rockin' song can pull you out of a funk, can keep you from hitting a wall (hopefully just in the figurative sense- if you are literally hitting walls when running, perhaps you are taking your duty of drinking for Sixpack a little too seriously and you have more problems than a kick-ass song can cure). i am working to get together a collection of truly inspiring songs in my "run, forest, run" playlist (that's a little nod to you, forest f. gump).

i read an interesting tidbit today about listening to music while running, and there is a whole website devoted to music for running... and it seems that in order for a song to be good for running, it needs to have over 80 beats-per-minute (BPM). you can even calculate your own pace and fine songs that match your running pace, if you are so inclined.

anyway, for me, just something upbeat works well (though, when i am deciding whether i want a song or not, i imagine my cadence while listening to the song to see if it matches, so i guess i kinda do that in my mind already).

so far i have just over 2 hours, but would like to double that. i would like to propose a music trade. i am offering to send a CD with my playlist (thus far) out to any of you... and am hoping that some of you could return the favor (note: i am happy to send a CD to any of you regardless of whether you send one to me). my playlist ranges from johnny cash to kylie minogue, ol' dirty bastard to tori amos... never a dull moment.

my first run of 2007...

distance: 2
time: i'll keep that to myself for now... but i am feeling just right after the run- i feel like i pushed myself, but i won't be crippled tomorrow.

6 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

Some would say it all starts with one step, That was true for me. Congrats on the first run.

Sixpack Chopra said...

I'm all about the music. My Powersong on Nike+ is "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson of course. I don't know what it is, but when he screams in that song it just gets me moving.
I'll have a disk in the mail to you this week, of my new running mix. Just a few of my favorites when times are rough on the trail.

dr. deetschei said...

hola jogi jogi!
i havent had a chance to welcome you yet, but i hereby would like to express my delight at having someone here whose name sounds like more of a san rio character than my own :)
i would love to exchange music, but mail and cd's are pragmatically a no go for germany...perhaps we could open up a gmail email account where people can upload music,and other can downlad it from there. i believve don and i have experience with doing this with a friend who lived in switzerland last year...it's all a bit hazy, the past.
anyway, keep up the running, and it sounds like you're going to be a kick ass addition to the ranks :)

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

I second deetschei's idea, otherwise we need to exchange mailing addresses (preferably not on the Blog).

Clyde S. Dale said...

Hey Jogi Jogi, I would like to take you up on the cd offer, but I cannot send you one in return as the only play list I have is on my MP3 player which was down loaded by my ex girlfriend. I think it is now holding me back, instead of pushing me forward. I need to let go of all things connected. This would be a good start. Sixpack has my address let me know what I owe you. I neeeed some new "run forest run" music for both body and soul.

Anonymous said...

This is another cool site that is dedicated to workout and running music, where you can also download a free software utility (called BeatScanner) to find songs and create play lists for your workout.