Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Year in Review

First, I can’t believe that an entire year of drinking and running has passed again. I remember writing this entry last year in Cologne while lying in bed and wondering whether I would be able to run much in 2007. I believe I had compiled 600 something miles over the course of 2006 before sitting down in a post-marathon funk that lasted until late December. As a result, I had to run two-a-days through most of January in order to get back in shape.
I was not only able to run in 2007, but January gave me a solid base that carried me through the entire year. Although I didn’t run another marathon in 2007, I was able to maintain a consistently high level that saw me hit a variety of new goals. During my speedy Spring, I ran my fastest mile probably ever (6:59) and also hit a personal best for the 5K (21:50).
After my legs nearly fell off, I decided to withdraw speedwork and focus entirely on more base building. That culminated in two consecutive months with more than 100 miles. I ultimately ran over two hundred miles more than I did in the previous year (835) with an average pace of around 8:52 per mile.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

This next year will hopefully build upon the last. I am running a half marathon in one week, and am in discussions with my coaching staff (Tessa) about potentially running another marathon, perhaps in Hamburg (Spring) or Cologne (Fall). I’m still not sure I want to go back to that distance yet, though. The one goal I have set that I am excited about is to run 1,000 miles in 2008. If I can manage 20 miles a week for the entire year, then its in the bag. That’s all.

So, I know there were a lot of accomplishments on this blog last year. I can think of at least two marathons and a lot of Texan ass-kickings. I’d love to hear your thoughts about 2007 and what you are looking forward to in 2008.

1 comment:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Holy shit! Your numbers are amazing! 835 miles last year? Oh to be young again :-).

I'm back on track. Look out!!!!

BTW, Berlin Marathon next October?