Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Dr's Year in Review

After reading Deetschei's accomplishments and after briefly glancing at my own distance for the year, I was a bit disappointed that I hadn't managed to put in more miles. But then I took a look at my distance for 2006 and cheered up a bit. I increased my distance for the year by more than 100 miles (over 200 depending on the accuracy of last year's calculations).

I didn't meet the goal of running a marathon, but I have signed-up for the OKC marathon in 2008, and I begin training next week. In addition, following Sixpack's example, I got my sisters running this year and have gotten them to agree to run the OKC half-marathon. While my times were significantly slower this year than last - due to my training for the Houston marathon - I achieved a personal first by completing a 14 mile run. It almost broke me, but I did it. I also learned that training for a marathon in 12 weeks isn't "smart training." My fastest mile this year was 7:31 on a 3.5 mi. run. My fastest average time was 7:53 on a 5.5 mi. run.

All in all, I think that 2008 holds lots of promise in terms of new personal firsts and bests. I want to thank everybody, especially Deetschei and Sixpack, for their advice and words of encouragement this year. We might be scattered to the four corners, but we're still running!

1 comment:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Keep it up! I can't believe I won't be there for OKC, but we'll get one in someday!

How is training going? Good?