Thursday, January 24, 2008

WWJWD?

I headed to the gym today on a blustery cold, for California, day with the task of running 6 miles. When I say cold we're talking somewhere below freezing. In fact, the weather channel registers the current temp as 47, but with a note that it "feels like 40", thus substantiating my claim that it is well below freezing out there.

  As I dressed in the running clothes I had brought to school on Monday and neglected to use until today I contemplated who actually packed those clothes. Somebody, and I'm not pointing fingers here, somebody thought it would be a good idea to run in a sleeveless shirt and shorts. As I changed I contemplated logging those 6 miles on the treadmill. Once I had stretched I found that all of the treadmills were full, which means I wouldn't be able to comfortably, i.e. guilt-free, be able to occupy a treadmill for in excess of an hour while others waited to complete there requisite 30 minute workouts. So, I asked myself "What Would JW Do?"
Answer: He would run the Berkeley Fire Trails. So I did.
3.25 miles uphill, one complete right foot submersion in a puddle, and a path that felt like a slip and slide.  Then turn around and do it all again. My favorite part of the fire trail run these days is getting to run past the tree sitters. I don't know why this brings me joy, but to see a bunch of nut bag vegans protesting the removal of 15 trees that were planted within the 20th century, BY the University, while acres of forest are being removed in South America in order to produce beef, just instills in me a feeling of irony that is not easily surpassed.
  Overall a great run. Sloppy, muddy and cold, but you get used to the cold. I did get a few stares when I was nearly finished and was actually walking in my sleeveless shirt among the parkas, scarves, and hats on campus.

5 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

way to go, sixpack! that's the sort of running story i like to hear, all grit and determination as you run up brokeback!

Sixpack Chopra said...

LOL. Speaking of Brokeback..... R.I.P. Ennis Del Mar.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Did you give that big mud puddle the finger for me? So sad to hear about Ennis :(

Sixpack Chopra said...

I gave it a big ol' finger! So large, in fact, that I almost titled the post "Wherefore art thou Haterella?"

dr. deetschei said...

ennis finally learned how to quit us all...