Saturday, January 12, 2008

I Love You, Lance Armstrong!

Another week of running is over. Yes, it's true. It's the second week of training and things are going very well, I do have to say.  First, I scaled the leg workout way back this week, and saved my energies and soreness for the run. So far I think it's going to work. I'll add a few pounds to the leg workout next week and see how that goes.

The run today, because I blogged about run one earlier this week, went really, really well. It was the usual Glen Park Monster, which entails a two mile run to the bottom of the hill (Yeah, take that Midwest flatlanders! It's two miles just to get to the bottom.) and then three miles up the hill, a mile running in circles at the top and then another mile home. It's a great run, and a very fun one. The best news? SUN! We saw the sun today for the first time in over a week, making it a beautiful run. So beautiful, in fact, that I almost took my shirt off, but it was a little chilly. Outdoor temp when I left for the run was 59 degrees. Not bad, not bad.
  Today is what running is all about. A beautiful day, some time outside in a great city and a good workout. Things feel good and I'm moving on. And when it was all over Lance Armstrong came on my iPod and congratulated me for running my longest run yet! I love hearing from Lance. Strangely it really does motivate me. Not because I have some delusion that Lance really does care, but the knowing that when I hear him I've pushed myself even further just gets me pumped.

As an aside, I read an interesting article by Kristen Armstrong (the ex-wife) in Runners World and I thought I would share it here.  It's entitled: Pretty Strong and  it just pulled at my heartstrings in it's honesty, it's motivation, and the way she works so hard to set a good example for her kids.  Enjoy.

Zusammenfassung der Woche:

Distance: 13 miles
Total time: 2:00:28
Average Pace: 9:15
Overall Impression: 

4 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Wow. I heard a similar story the other day from a woman, who said that her 5 year old was talking about needing to lose weight. Yikes! BTW, do I get to point out typos in your German? ;)

Sixpack Chopra said...

Typo? What Typo?

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

ha ha ha. very clever.

RunsOnlyWhenChased said...

Unfortunately, I can top that. I consulted last year in a classroom for a 3 year old that would refuse food at mealtimes, telling her teacher that she was fat, so she was on a diet....