Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year, New Marathon....New Tattoo(?)

Yes, it's a new year!

A quick look at Nike+ tells me I ran roughly 300 miles last year. I can recall at least 15 miles that were undocumented, giving me a total of 315 for the year. OH! I almost forgot that I didn't have my iPod chip with me for the marathon, that puts last years total at 341.2 miles (just shy of 1 mile per day). Not bad.

The year in review:
I started off with a bang running the Carlsbad Marathon which I blogged about. It was amazing, and put me through another loop. I spent 5 months in physical therapy. In fact, I've spent so much time in PT over the past 18 months that I almost cried when my therapist quit. He was great, and his replacement was not quite my cup of tea.
By June I had begun training for a marathon again, the Nike Women's--I think. I went for a ten mile run in Milwaukee (actually ran all the way to New Berlin and back.) and came back feeling great. The next day I had a back ache that lasted for months and eventually worked to my feet. Of last year's 341.2 miles only 88 of those came after that run to New Berlin. Acupuncture is the next attempted cure. I'll keep y'all posted.
In the meantime I'm feeling much better and would say I'm 98% recovered, but won't give up treating this until it is 100%.


In September Steve and I started Body for Life, before we were mowed down by the Mack Truck that is the holiday season, I had lost 15 pounds, and 2% bodyfat, Steve had lost 30 pounds. Now the holidays are over and the results weren't too bad. I stepped on the scale yesterday, and I had only gained 2 pounds, but had converted several pounds of muscle into gingerbread cookies and beer and spritz cookies and wine and a gingerbread house and beer. You get the picture. The diet started again yesterday and I've never felt better. We are both amazed at how good it feels to eat this way. I would honestly continue to do it even if I didn't lose weight. It's great. So, look for bigger changes, and yes, some more pics as soon as I've decided I'm in good enough shape to be seen in public. 

The coming year:
2008 promises to be awesome!! I've joined the bandwagon for the Madison Marathon (the fact that someone died there two years ago will not deter me!). The best part of the Madtown Marathon? The fact that the finish line is also BRATFEST, of course!  Will there also be a new tattoo at the Madison Marathon? It's hard to say, but it's a definite possibility. I won't bore you all here with ideas, but will definitely post a pic if/when it happens.
  This will hopefully be followed by a summer of happy running in preparation for the Berlin Marathon. It's early enough to begin planning for it, any takers?

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Well, I could complain that you are a traitor and have abandoned my OKC marathon (did I mention it is flat and a Boston qualifier?????) for Bratfest. But then again, I am wishing that the OKC marathon had a Bratbierfest waiting for me at the finish line! As for tattoos... again, I thought this was going to be a tag-team affair. Speaking of tag-team, you will be tuning in Sunday night for AG, correct??? Sorry about all the physical setbacks. You are going to kick my ass with your skinner runner legs this year! I can already feel it!!!

scooter said...

quick qusetion?? what is the best way to hydrate during run?

Anonymous said...

The race staff is pleased that you "joined the bandwagon for the Madison Marathon." We would like to clarify one thing in your post...the race was stopped due to extreme weather conditions (90 degree heat and high humidity) but thankfully everyone was fine (ie no deaths to report)!

Glad you enjoy finishing at the World's Largest Brat Festival. We have some great things planned for 2008 and hope your readers will join us!

Madison Marathon Staff