Wednesday, January 09, 2008

That's a Good Boy!!!

I wanted to post today and tell of my winning the battle with that demon that Forest refers to as Sybil. I would call mine Heinrich, but he's much nicer than the voice I was battling with during my run today. For argument's sake, why don't we call him Jason Whitt. So, I've got my fancy "new" iPod on (it's an old model that was replaced under warranty right before Christmas) and I'm going for a treadmill run at the RSF. Past experience tells me that the Nike+ doesn't measure well when using a treadmill. Something about the strange gait on a treadmill throws off the rhythm or something, ask Deetschei, he's the one always using words like coefficient.

  Today, however, the measure was WAY off. I was on one treadmill and it told me I had run more than a mile when the mill itself hadn't yet registered .88 miles. Then my favorite machine came open so I thought I would switch to it. There things got worse. While running at a treadmill described pace of 9:20/mile, my iPod was clocking in at 7:30. As I said, WAY OFF!  As I'm approaching 6 miles (today's goal) on my iPod the treadmill reads only 4. Then the voice begins!!!! "If I keep the iPod running, then the distance will show that I ran over 7 miles when I only ran 6. So, I'll have to shut off the iPod."

"If I shut off the iPod then I can just meet the distance halfway, and run only 1 of the 2 miles I still have left to run." 

"If I shut off the iPod no one will ever know that I didn't really run the full 6 miles."

So I shut off the iPod. Then continued to run and run and run, until Jason Whitt had been struck down, and I had run the full 6 miles according to the treadmill. So, Nike+ thinks I ran 6 miles incredibly fast, but I know in my heart of hearts that Jason Whitt can't always talk me into not finishing a workout, and that I am going to beat this thing!!!

Rock on all you marathoners, half marathoners and Ben's that refuse to blog!!!!

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Niiiiice. Way to finish the run despite the temptations! Very proud, very proud. I almost didn't run yesterday because of the rain, but decided that that was a very poor way to begin my 4-months of training! Keep it up and FUJW!

scooter said...

If we always did what the voices in our heads say just imagine the possibilities!! That said, way to hang in there. I just got started with my Nike+ yesterday, I calibrated mine with my treadmill and they were dead on. My training is going well so far. I am only in my first week but I must admit that after the first 1/4 mile it actually feels good to run again. Angel is running great as well. I am trying to get her to log into the blog. We will begin to train together on long runs as soon as weather permits.

Sixpack Chopra said...

Awesome! keep up the pressure on Angel! She should be on here.

Congrats on getting running to feel good. That's the first part of the battle. I swear to god I hated running for the first year I did it. It was more of a social experience for me, but it got me going. Keep it up, Scooter. I'm really excited to see you and run the marathon in May!