Monday, January 28, 2008

Running with a Hip Flexor and a Back!

Neither my hip flexor nor my lower back are "injured" per se, but both are little tight and painful. I've begun some extra stretching in an attempt to alleviate some of it. My hip flexor actually hasn't been the same for a few months now, but I tend to forget that because it only really hurts when I go up an extremely steep hill, like say the fire trails.

  My run on Sunday, 8 miles, was mostly uneventful. It was long, that's for sure. It took me 8 miles through the city and was quite beautiful. I managed to sneak it in between rain storms, which was nice.
  It was a 14 mile week, and has me on track to start the intense training next Monday, which, Drunkrunners, marks 16 weeks until the Madison Marathon, or as I prefer to call it "The Longest I've Ever Run to Get a Bratwurst!"

Overall impression:

Total miles: 14
Time: 2:27:02
Average pace: 10:30/mile
Overall Impression: Slow and Steady Wins The Race. I'll Work On Speed Soon! (SASWTR.IWOSS!)

4 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Jinx. Looks like we posted simultaneously! Way too keep up with miles in between training programs. Like you, I am trying to be the turtle, but it is hard! Can't wait for Nimitz!!!

dr. deetschei said...

be the turtle, grasshopper.

sounds like you are doing great. you're right to not even worry about speed. that will come when you have your foundation back. it must feel great to just log those miles again! i know i'm psyched for you :)

PS: another fall marathon to consider: dublin.

dr. deetschei said...

PPS: what's a hip flexor, anyway? it sounds like a machine that chuck norris would sell during infomercials.

Sixpack Chopra said...

Google Hip Flexor. It's a crazy muscle. Attaches to the back of the lower spine, works it way in front of the spine only to attach at the side of the hip bone and the outside if the femur. Forest, having had anatomy and physiology, may be able to describe it better. Suffice it to say, when the hip flexor hurts, it HURTS.

Dublin Marathon? Sounds like a good idea. I've got friends that can be waiting at mile 24 with a Guiness. And, the city is flatter than the Olsen twins.