Monday, January 28, 2008

Quelle Surprise!

So, I think I have discovered one factor causing me to "have an ankle and a calf." During my last few runs, I had developed a sore spot on the top of my foot where the tongue of my shoe and the knotted shoelace rested. On a whim yesterday, during my 10 mile run, I decided to loosen the laces. Quelle surprise! The calf and ankle pain almost vanished entirely. Now, that is not to say that my calves weren't still tight, but I certainly wasn't getting the same shooting pains I had previously been experiencing. It seems like such a little thing, but it can have such an unbelievable affect on how you run. I simply assumed that I should lace my shoes snuggly and tightly to increase stability and avert any potential ankle injuries. Hmmmm. Apparently they were just a little too snug and tight.

Anywho, since I last posted, I have logged 27 miles (incl. last week's 9-miler and the aforementioned 10-miler). My speed work and tempo runs are going really well, which unfortunately means that I have not been sticking to my New Year's resolution to slow things down. I simply find it - and this is going to sound wrong - easier to run faster. I would love to talk about momentum, velocity, acceleration, and forces acting on objects, etc., but I skipped Physics in high school. Simply put, it is all psychological with me. When I catch myself running faster than my scheduled pace and I think about slowing it down, my next immediate thought is: "If I slow it down, what if I keep slowing down and then I am running slower than my scheduled pace and have to push to try to speed back up. BLAH BLAH BLAH." It sounds absolutely stupid, I know, but these are the thoughts that go through my mind over a 90-minute period of time. I blame it on my competitive nature. In my head I am competing with myself and my previous paces and the idea that I can always do better and go faster. This is where a running partner would come in extremely handy, somebody to help keep me on pace and get me out of my head!

Speaking of being in my head, it also dawned on me around mile 5.5, that I couldn't remember the last time I was plagued by side stitches - something I used to struggle with and which could wreck even the shortest run! Of course, after coming to that realization, I promptly began worrying that I had just jinxed myself and that suddenly I would become the victim of a paralyzing side stitch. Tragedy, however, was averted.

Besides all the mind games I am playing with myself, I am feeling really good. This week will be my recovery week (5-5-5). The week after next I will be challenging myself to run the furthest I have ever run (a 16-miler) and it will only go up from there. But, I am feeling optimistic, now that I have that whole shoe lace business sorted out! Let's hope that is the end of the ankle and calf!


Week's Stats:
Distance: 18
Avg. Pace: 9.06
# of Rabid Dogs Chased By: 1
Overall Impression: Mental Note To Self, Need To Start Carrying Mace To Ward Off Wild-Eyed Dogs (MNTSNTSCMTWOED)

Hey! Where is Forrest by the way? How is your recovery going?

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

Quelle rapidité!

i think you are right to run at your comfort level. if you slow down to an unnatural pace, it could affect how your joints and muscles feel over a long run.

different plans have different ideas of what you should do on long runs. i am guessing yours asks you to run slower than marathon pace (?). many have you run at your goal marathon pace, so you would possibly be more comfortable doing it that way! but listen to your body...to be honest, i have never paid attention to goal times over LSD runs. i have no idea what my pace should be. i think times for tempo runs and speedwork are much more important. and you shouldn't worry about speedwork for your first marathon anyway :)

in sum: i think you might be right. in my mind comfort is much more important than speed at this stage. just don't expect to be too fast over the course of 26.2- your goal for the first marathon is always to finish! you can qualify for boston during number 2!!!!