Monday, January 07, 2008

Fluid Tips

Scooter asked for some assistance on hydrating techniques for runs, so this is a good time to go back through them for the gang. If you have any tips or hints that don't get covered here, please feel free to post them.


  1. Hydration is extremely important for runs over 6 miles. My experience tells me that before six miles it's not a big deal. I mean, I've run a few 6 milers still drunk from the night before (at least that's how it felt) and was just fine without fluids.
  2. That said, regardless of the run length, I like to have a glass or two of water before hitting the trail. With a drink or two before the run, its possible to extend that non-hydration rule mentioned above to runs of even 7 or 8 miles. If I recall correctly my hydration is more conservative than other contributors here, but it is in the end an individual sport.
  3. When it comes time to take water with you on the run, I highly recommend Gu. They have a product called Gu20 that makes a great hydrating drink. There are, of course, many others on the market, Gatorade, etc. Mix your own and carry with you. Gu also has Gels, Espresso Love and Vanilla being my favorites. These provide more electrolytes and some caffeine to keep you going on that 20 mile run. I generally use Gels on any run over 7 miles, and use liquids on any run over 6 miles.
  4. Hydration belts: mine is a Fuel Belt. Again, pick the one that's best for you, but don't be afraid to spend the money. The Fuel Belt is so much better than thinking you can carry the water bottle in your hand for 14 miles. Don't even kid yourself. Find something that will strap it to your body so you can forget about it until you need it. My only complaint about the Fuel Belt is that tying a shirt around your waist becomes impossible. It throws off the tension and becomes very awkward, and if I tuck the shirt in my shorts then they start to fall down, but enough about my shorts. Do some research and find the one that is best for you.
  5. On the topic of Gels and Drink mixes, you'll need to discover for yourself how much you need. It's best to be over prepared than to find yourself begging for water, wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and a smile, in a New Berlin gas station on a 90 degree day (Not that that has EVER happened to me.) Race day, is also a day not to mess around. In my two races I've found I needed way more fluids to complete 26 miles than I had needed to complete 20. There is an equation there that I don't understand.
That's the long and the short about hydration from my end. We did complete some 12 mile runs without fluids back in the day, but at least my performance suffered because of it. Stay hydrated even when you are not running. If you don't have clear pee by noon, consider taking in more water.  Right, PP?

5 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Like Sixpack said, everybody is different in terms of the amount of hydration they need and the dehydration they can tolerate. I drink about 8 cups of coffee throughout the day and maybe a glass of water before shorter runs. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! If you look at past posts, you will see the effects of this bad habit - lots of spitting...

Anywho, since I bought a Fuel Belt (I too chose this brand and LOVE IT - it doesn't slide around or rise up, like you would think would happen with 48 oz. of liquid strapped to your bouncing waste!), I have come to realize the benefits of hydration - before, during, and after runs.

Deetschei is the king of hydration. He drinks tons of water the night before and the morning of a run. Now, he also disappears quite a lot during runs, if my memory serves me, to search for the closest Port-o-Potty or bush. It is a toss up: dehydration or peeing.

On the subject of gels: AVOID 'SUBLIME LIME' AT ALL COSTS. Vile! Again, see previous post for adverse effects ;)

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Dude, yes, I realize that I did not proofread my posting. I also realize that it is waist and not waste :) I am only on cup number 1 of 8 in terms of my coffee this morning! ;) Forgive any other feauxpas.

Sixpack Chopra said...

One cup of coffee or not, I can't resist pointing out the beauty of misspelling faux pas! It cracks me up, and I'm laughing WITH you, not at you!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

OMG! They can't revoke my PhD for that, can they??? ;)

Sixpack Chopra said...

Thank God, it can never be revoked!!! Not in the US. They are revokable in Germany. Beware!!!!