Saturday, January 19, 2008

Run-Schmun

Can't I just sit on the couch pounding a bag of potato chips and guzzling a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper in order to train for the marathon? I think my dear friend "Smells" had it absolutely freakin' right when she gave me her take on exercise. (For those of you who don't know Smells, she was not only my drinking buddy back at Berkeley but she was also my workout buddy.) One day, while punishing ourselves on the Precor Elliptical machines at the RSF - machines we waited probably a good 45 minutes for and fought tooth and nail to get by glaring at the skinny 18 year olds who were talking on their cell phones while "working out," but I'm not bitter - Smells noted that the higher powers that be should have given us "hot bods" in our youth with a sort of "repayment plan." You get the great, in-shape body up front and then have to workout to keep it. If Smells were running for the office of said higher power, she would totally get my vote. What a brilliant motivation to stay in shape and to stick to your training plan!

Wait, how did I get on this topic? Oh right, the weather it total crap today and I was running the risk of getting behind in my training plan. However, a quick trip to the local sporting goods store for a pair of running tights (yes, it is true! I bought a pair and I don't look half as good in them as Sixpack does!!!!) and a new longsleeve shirt to motivate me to get out in the cold drizzle to do my 5 miles. Mission accomplished. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined and I feel good to have it out of the way so that I can start thinking about my 9-miler on Sunday.

Like ROWC, last week's training flew by without a hitch. I think the three weeks off over the holidays gave me "fresh legs" because I am running faster than I was before the break. However, I am still sticking to my plan of "slow and steady." I was scheduled to run last week's 8-miler at a 10:39ish pace and managed to slow myself down to a 10 min. pace. I think that if I can focus on slowing down, I will minimize my risk for injury before the marathon.

Anywho, I hope that everyone is having a good week. For those of you with access to indoor treadmills, I envy you! Keep up the running and posting. Scooter, how are things going and are the miles getting any easier? Ginifer, how is your training? ROWC, post a pic of those big ol' honkin' new shoes of yours when you get them. Sixpack, when do we get the promised Speedo pics? And Deetschei, what about the photo of your running suit???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The repo man came and took my mediocre bod! Don't let this happen to you.

Keep up the good work, sista soldier.

RunsOnlyWhenChased said...

You bought yourself a pair of "nudie pants"? Fan-tastic...Ok, so I bought a pair of knee length ones for myself but haven't worked up the courage yet to display my bum for the world to see.

What if you made your training plan DIET Dr. Pepper and Baked Lays--would that increase its effectiveness?

dr. deetschei said...

are there diet buffalo wings or diet pizzas out there?