Tuesday, January 29, 2008

refreshing run in a Cailfornia freeze!!

AHHHHHH!! Today I had my first run of week 4. I was able to venture outside today into a wonderful 45 deg afternoon (I understand that that is freezing in Cali). It was what I believe to be my best run to date! 3.2 miles @ 11:34. It felt good, I felt like I could have easily gone 5 today, but I didnt want to break training. Forest has become my mr Myagi(sp.) a little 80s flashback.
Week 3 was a little harsh. I began to develop a "hip" early on . I still was able to log 10.5 but it was tough. My right hip was giving me some pain and I can still feel it just not as much. I am trying to not over do it, I have been taking a boot camp class at the local Y on M,W,F in the morning before I head in to the office. The class is a really good cardio/core workout. I took forests guidance and today started to scale back my excertion in the class as to not further my "hip" I will see how it goes over the next few runs then re-evaluate the class. My fireman training class has begun to get into the more physical aspect. But that is just making me sleep better at night.
I will update after my 5 miler and let you know how the hip is comin along.

5 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

it sounds like the training is going great, scooter! at four weeks, you will be finding your groove very soon and noticing a big difference from when you began (if you haven't already!) keep up the great work- way to power through the winter!

Clyde S. Dale said...

Your doing great Scooter! I would have never thought the last time I saw you that I would be chasing you in a training program. Not to mention a MARATHON. Great work!keep it up!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Sound advice from Forrest. Training for a marathon is intensive enough, not to mention adding in a boot camp and fireman training!!! (by the way, isn't the PC term for that "fire fighter" training?) ;)

Sixpack Chopra said...

Who gives a shit about PC? He's a man, he's training to fight fires, erego he is undergoing fireMAN training. :-)

Keep it up Scooter, Only 16 weeks to go, when you are finished you won't recognize the guy that started the training. He'll be a distant wheezing memory.

About the hip. Try using a foam roller (available at most sporting goods stores). Lay it on the ground and roll across it from hip to knee. There's a nice picture and description here: http://www.power-systems.com/news/01_26_06b.aspx. If the IT band is not your problem, this exercise will still eventually feel good. If the IT band is your problem, you will pray for death the first time you do this stretch. Good Luck!!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Sixpack, you are not the enlightened guru I thought you to be. Boo!