Wednesday, January 09, 2008

It's a family affair...

OK, so with a little bit of arm-twisting, here I am (that would be Kay, sister #2 to Dr. Pavement Pounder). My lovely sisters put a little of the G. family guilt-trip on me and I now find myself, very much used to a few miles on the elliptical machine at the Y every week, training for the OKC half-marathon.



I started today with a training plan (definitely the beginner one) from the Runner's World website DPP recommended. I think I need to tweak the pace a little bit--my "easy run" pace was more of a brisk walk. I'm wondering about the treadmill though...once you get off the treadmill, does the sensation of moving faster than you actually are disappear after awhile? It's a little unnerving....

7 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

LOL. Kay, I speak from experience when I say the treadmill sensation goes away after a few trips on one, and never returns. You made me giggle when I thought back to my first few runs on a treadmill (almost ten years ago now) and how disorienting it was getting off the damn thing.

Looking forward to hearing how the progress goes.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Yaaaay! Love the name, but I think I will have to shorten it for ease to ROWC or something. Like Sixpack said, the sensation will soon disappear and that eerie sense that you might role right off the treadmill will also decrease. Keep it up! Once you start running outside, you will find it hard to go back on a treadmill!

RunsOnlyWhenChased said...

"Role"--is that the Germanic spelling or do you just not proofread? They might really take away your PhD soon if you're not careful... :)

scooter said...

Welcome ROWC!! I have just begun to train as well and must agree that the runners world program is off on the pace. The paces would be great if you were training to be an olympic speed walker I suppose. Can you imagine running 26 miles ata 15:53??

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Hey back off on the typos and my poor spelling! Yes, I try and proofread but I have other more important things on my mind than whether or not I spell correctly on this blog!!! Geez. That is the last time I invite a sister to the blog!

RunsOnlyWhenChased said...

I'm not really complaining right now about the slower pace because I think I'm dragging along about 3 extra pounds of queso and gingerbread men from Christmas. :)

Sixpack Chopra said...

Me like Queso!!!!!