Friday, March 09, 2007

The Hayes Street Haters Rise Again

Just yesterday, as I finished up my speed work on the treadmill, I thought to myself, "I sure miss running hills like we used to back in Berkeley." Today, however, after my sister ("Gin"ifer) told me she had signed up for B2B and wanted to know whether people actually jogged the hill or whether they walked the hill, I felt compelled to send her a photo of said hill.

When I told you that I thought "gee, I miss hills" I certainly was NOT referring to the most "hated" of all hills:


Note: Do not let this beast in any way, shape, or form intimidate you. You are stronger than the hill. You are tougher than the hill. You will kick that hill's ass (if it had an ass). You will prevail over that hill!!!

Having survived the hill, I tell you in all honesty, there is nothing like the downhill side of that bitch! That having been said and in honor of your tackling the Hayes Street Hill, I am going to try to shave at least an extra 2-3 mins. off my goal when running in solidarity.

Last Weeks Stats:
Total Miles: 19.2
Total Time: 2:43:46
Avg. Pace: 8:31
Observations: Um... Ouch! (U...O!)

5 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

Ok she's signed up, so when is she going to make us 10 drunkrunners.
To all wondering I drove the hill with Sixpack and Sandi, just driving it in the car made me tired. But I'm looking forward to charging that hill, it will be the worst thing I'll see and if I can make it their I'll make it anywhere it's up to me drunk runners it's up to me.

tomodachi said...

nice. i have been training on my short weekly runs on a "hill" near our house in preparation for the hayes street hill... and it is funny to actually see it again. not funny "haha" though– i had forgotten how steep it is. the "hill" near us is good "preparation"... but it is NOTHING like the real thing, baby.

dr. deetschei said...

ha ha ha. i do hate me that hill. all in all, it really is a short stretch of the total run, but PP is right. Once you get to the other side, the sun shines just that little bit more, and the beer, it tastes a little bit sweeter. Damn hill.

Sixpack Chopra said...

"and the beer, it tastes a little bit sweeter." Which begs the question, "Why isn't there beer at the top of the hill!" Now that would be worth running to. It's a beast, but conquering that thing makes me giddy like Leo in Titanic "I'm KING OF THE WORLD!"

And he was from Wisconsin!

tomodachi said...

can i vote for that entire comment you just made, sixpack, to be this week's highlighted quote of the week? i know it will make me laugh every time i read it...