Tuesday, October 03, 2006

And they're Off!

I ran with the gay boys for the first time in a long time this weekend. It was awesome. I ended up running most of the way by myself, but it was nice to know that at least when someone passed me they were on my team. :-)
It turned out to be a great run. The first couple miles were a little fast, and I felt like I was struggling to finish the last half of the four mile run, but when I crossed the finish line I had actually completed the whole ordeal in 34:36 giving me an 8.67 minute mile. Not bad. I was very happy!!!!

Training for the next marathon begins tomorrow! I have found a perfect marathon and will begin the 16 week training program tomorrow. The race is the San Diego marathon on January 21. Mark your calendars. Steve and I will go down to visit a friend of our's there and I'll simply run the race with them there to cheer me on. I'm pretty excited about the Ultimate Marathon Plan, it really seems doable, especially since I'll be training for this one all by myself. I'll of course, keep all posted as to my goings.

I need some advice though. I've been contemplating the enormity of all of this training and racing, and we are going to be doing even more if we are going to run the Boston. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a nicer experience to raise money for the bost marathon by taking donations for each marathon run. I haven't fully worked out details in my head, but here's a rough idea: People pledge 1 cent (or more) for each mile run during training and races until the Boston marathon. This means if we accomplish the 2008 marathon we are looking at about a $4.00 donation for each marathon. I figure to qualify it is going to take 3 marathons next year. Include the Boston marathon and each person donates $16. Whaddaya think? I'd probably want to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association or something like it. It just seemed so much more meaningful to run the Bay to Breakers raising money for LLS. I'd love to hear what ya'll think about this half baked plan.

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Ignore my previous post from your last blog. San Diego sounds sweeeet!

I like your idea of the donations. It is a good way to keep you mentally focused, right? What is better on a day when you don't wanna train than thinking, shiiiiit, that is less money donated!

I hope you guyz aren't too disappointed. I haven't blogged anything about running because I haven't run. :( Hopefully, once i get this application business under control...

But I am certainly there with you guys in spirit at the moment!

dr. deetschei said...

Dude, those are some great results. I'm really proud of the way you're fighitng through the pain to keep going. It's inspiring.
I'm keeping my feet up right now, and resting, restin, resting. Since I'm out of book review land and back into dissertationterritory, I'm reading a lot as well. I'm going to blog again this weekend before the big one, and of course afterweards. Everything is on track, and all the pieces are more or less working in unison. WISH ME LUCK!

dr. deetschei said...

Oh yeah, tell me more about the plan. In priniciple it sounds good, but I want to hear more details. I'll be in the Bay Area for a few days in a little over a month now! Can't wait to see you guys!