Sunday, October 15, 2006

Run to Me!

It's Sunday afternoon and I should be working on a paper that will be presented at a conference in two weeks. Instead, I'm basing a little in the glow of a 21 mile week. Overall it went well.

Do y'all have regular "pain" or discomfort after a long run? I can't remember what normal feels like anymore. I did 7 miles today and it was a beautiful, but there was a point where both knees were hurthing, and so was my ankle but that's another story.

The week:
Tuesday four miles. Treadmill, uneventful.
Thursday six miles: Stretched and headed out the door and up into the Berkeley Fire Trails. It was my first time on the trails since the Jason Whitt incident and I have to say, they are 2000 times more pleasant when they aren't covered in crazy ass sloppy muddy mess. It was quite gorgeous up there. The goal of the run was 60 minutes. So I headed up hill and assumed downhill time would be faster than uphill. 35 minutes up hill took me about 1/2 mile past the beast hill where you have no choice but to walk (although I did struggle half way up it before giving up). I turned around and headed back comfortable in the knowledge that I'm starting to enjoy running hills. I can't explain it, but it's true.
Saturday four miles: In Golden Gate Park with the gay boys, ran with a gay minister who works at USF. His name was Donell. It was all a bit weird, but a beautiful run. I love the park.
Sunday seven miles: Left the house, walked for five minutes away from the house, then turned around and ran toward the house, past it and right on down into Glen Park. 2 miles away from home, the center of Glen Park is roughly 150 above sea level. Then it's uphill, and I mean uphill. Running to the top of Twin Peaks, takes 2 1/2 miles and is an 800 foot change in elevation. It's a great run. Challenging to say the least, but what a thrill to reach the top. Ran a flat mile at the top just to fill out the 7 and then headed home. It was gorgeous. That run always makes me appreciate living here in San Francisco. The challenging terrain and the view of downtown from the top just can't compare to anywhere else.

Overall:

Miles: 21
Time: 3:16:45
Overall Impression: Now I Know What It Means To Be An Addict! (NIKWIMTBAA)

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

That would be a great blog thread: At what point did you realize you were addicted to running?
I think it's like drugs or alcohol. Once you realize it's hurting you or disrupting your life in a major way, and you keep doing it, then you have to start reckoning with addiction...Definitions of chemical/psychological dependencies notwithstanding.
Dude, 21 miles is FANFUCKINGTASTIC! I'm so psyched for you. I'm keeping it easy but trying to get my legs under me by the time I get out there. We have to hit Nimitz together. And then get drunk. Very, very drunk.