Friday, September 29, 2006

Back in the Groove, I hope!

If there is a lesson for me to take away from the last two months it is this: Learn how to run, Stupid! As all of you know, I've been struggling with knee pain since I ran the race. In the past few weeks I've been able to run further, but not without severe ship pain in my left leg (not the same leg as the injury.) So, I says, "Doc, wassup? I fix one leg now the other hurts." He tells me that I run wrong. When I move my right heel kicks in - thus explaining all the nicks I've always had on my left ankle after running - and it means I don't push off right, putting more force on my left leg. So, now that the knees better we are working on my stance/running form.
Last night was the first try out of the new legs and everything went great. I ran 4 miles. Not a huge run, but he said to build up miles more gradually. I'll be following the Your Ultimate Marathon Plan at Runner's World for my training. And with the upcoming marathon schedule I've got a few weeks before I begin training in earnest. Which means I've got a little time to take off some weight. Did you know that each pound of weight accounts for 25 pounds of pressure on your knees when running? I figure I can lessen that pressure by at least 250 pounds. Here we go!!!

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 40 minutes
Overall Impression: No Shin Splints No Pain No Day But Today! (NSSNPNDBT!)

1 comment:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Excellent! Glad to hear you are back at it. Please tell me you aren't going to start running Ultramarathons!!!! Although the idea of cramming pizza and big macs into my mouth while running is very tempting, I am going to have to say ...no! Which new marathon did you pick?