Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Brokeback Hardcore

I cannot tell a lie, last weeks runs were great. I didn't have any serious problems getting them done, unlike the last 3 months when I was hobbling like a gimp. Still a few problems with ship pain, but as these completely disappear after awhile I'm confident they are not shin splints.
My 8 mile run on Saturday was great. It was the same 8 mile we all once ran in Golden Gate Park. The 3 miles past the carousel and conservatory of flowers and then the 5 miles out to the beach and back. Because the Frontrunners don't have an 8-mile run, I ran the three before they all got there at 9 and then joined in for the 5-mile. I ran with a guy for the 5 and he drove me to exhaustion. I ended up finishing the whole thing in 73 minutes. That's just a hair over 9 minutes/mile and the first 3 averaged closer to 10. I felt great. The guy was a little odd, and certainly wasn't doing much to help my run. When he said to me, "Are you gonna run along the beach? Or are you going to stop?"
I responded, "I don't have a choice, I have to keep going."
His response was, "O, you always have a choice no one is making you do anything you don't want to do."
I felt like saying, "Listen Dude, the right answer is, 'Let's keep going, I can't quite you either!" I kept running and he stopped trying to convince me to stop running, even though I held my tongue. It was a beautiful day here in the city, one of those rare fall days that the midwest takes for granted. Sunny, but just a little cool. Just barely too cool for short sleeves at a cafe, but not quite cold enough for long sleeves. In a word: FABULOUS!!!!
That was all Saturday, and per instructions I haven't run since. Now problems have developed. Strangely, I think it's sympathy pains, my ITB is acting up on my left leg. It's the same one you may remember being a problem when we first started training. Or was that a longer time ago? I can't remember. Anyway, haven't had trouble with it in awhile. I'm going to massage it on the roller tonight and then maybe some ice. I hope it's better tomorrow. I have to do 4 miles.
And finally, I've crossed a line. A line I didn't know I was going to cross so soon. With the gift certificates from having raised money for Leukemia and Lymphoma ($75 to Sports Basement) I went shopping on Saturday. I bought a new pair of shorts, a box (Yes, a BOX of Gu), a Fuel Belt, and canister of Gu2O. I felt so hardcore. The cashier asked if I was running the Nike Women's Marathon the next day, I looked that hardcore. In addition to injuries in the race, my case of dehydration at the end, and the general dehydration after several runs has convinced me it's time to start running with some fluids. I should even speed up times, because muscle fatige won't set in so intensely. I'll look like a dork with my holster on my hips, but I will be a lean mean running machine.

That's all for now.

Week's Stats:

Total Miles: 18
Total Time: 164
Average/mile: 9.14 minutes
Overall Impression: I'm Doing Great And Hope To Hold On To The Euphoria During Those 40 Mile Weeks! (IDGAHTHOTTEDT40MW!)

1 comment:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

You rock my world! I think I must be have shin sympathy pains. Is there such a thing as a shinectomy and where can I get one? ;) I had a dream that there was a short 5k race and I thought, "Oh, ok. Let me just put my shoes on and tell me where to go." Which was a nice feeling, because I haven't been having that kind of relationship with running lately! More in my post though. Keep kicking ass!