Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Score One More for the Kenyans.

It's been a crazy week and things are starting to get back to normal. So here are the details of last weeks running.

First, I went for another one of my long distance runs on Wednesday. Yes, that's right, 3/10 of a mile. It was huge. I made it all the way back from my warm up walk before I started to feel pain. We won't even bother to speak of times, because I've been so nervous I would injure myself that I'm sure I'm running way below the speed I could have.

Being frustrated from my venture I went inside and jumped on Steve's "Gazelle" and popped in the Tony Little tape. I did the ten minute workout and actually broke a sweat for the first time in 30 days. And frankly, my waistline is starting to show it. Being unable or unwilling to change my diet, I have managed to gain 10 pounds this month. I've done worse, but this still doesn't make me happy. I'll be working to take that off over the next weeks as I get back into running.

Back in Wisconsin for the weekend it was party central. Red Eye into town then run around with wedding preparations all day. Rehearsal dinner that night with copious amounts of light beer, which, by the way, is the bane of my existence. How am I supposed to get drunk with light beer?

The next morning it's up at 6:30 for a run with my brother. He's been having troubles staying on track as well. Have been considering inviting him to join the list for his own motivation. We decided that since today was the wedding it was not worth breaking a leg and not being able to walk down the aisle. So, we head out with the plan that we will stop and walk back as soon as my knee starts hurting.

Low and behold we made it a whole mile. ONE MILE!!!!! It was almost as exhilirating as finishing that first marathon. So, with a time of 10:08 I feel I have actually re-entered the world of runners. I will attempt another run tomorrow morning on the treadmill looking for similar or better results. I'm so excited I can't wait to get going.

As it stands I'm happy to be where I am, but pissed at having lost a month of training. I'm going to get back in slowly and see if I can't still run that marathon in December, but will not be pushing myself too hard. I can't afford a full relapse right now.

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

Dude, that's great news about the recovery. I agree with taking it easy. I'm pulling back quite a bit now and just trying to log the miles. I honestly just want to finish now as a main goal, which is more than I could say about last time!
it would be cool, if i stay healthy, if we could start coordinating runs in the fall/winter...
oh yeah, totally invite your brother! I'm still waiting to hear back from katra and friend nick(julie calls him "marathon nick", he's run boston before), and think i will send them reminders. nick has already promised a story involving a ten-mile run, some taco bell, and a near death explosion...

Sixpack Chopra said...

Coordinating runs would be awesome. My schedule, if I get on track, is Wed Fri Sun. Most races are on Sunday and it's a good day for me to have the long run anyway, so that's what I'll try.

You're doing great with the training. I think I learned from experience that getting the miles in is key. I don't think I would have had the knee problem if I hadn't missed so many of the training runs. But then, maybe not having the runs was saving me from having the problem earlier. Whatever the case, I wouldn't have hurt myself in the race if I had had the miles.

Keep it up, Man!!!