Monday, August 14, 2006

GAG -Erlebnis Halb-Marathon

So, clearly GAG is an acronym, but i still find it very amusing to pair it with anything athletic. Especially something endurance related. As a result, I ran the first five kilometers expecting michael hutchence to hop along beside me with his pants around his ankles.

Okay, on to the good stuff.

Yesterday's Run: 13.1 miles
Place: Köln Mülheim
Time: 1:48.42
Overall Impression: Very Good But A Bit Painful (VGBABP)

This is where the Kenyan Method really got put to the test.
Using all the scientific knowledge of a humanist (i put the wissenschaft in geisteswissenschaft, baby), I thought I would conduct an experiment by replacing beer and cake with whole grain noodles, bananas, and lots of water.
Here we go:

Hypothesis: We might be wrong about Kenyan training habits.

Experiment/Test: See if "Good" food is really "good for you" by eating said food instead of yummy drunky stuff.

The Result: My average per mile dropped from last week's 8.78 minutes to this week's 8.28 minutes. In other words, half a minute faster.

Conclusion: Kenyans put steroids in their beer. And Human Growth Hormone.


The thing I love about races is how early they are. For example, as I walked to my subway stop, I passed a bar that was still clearly open from the night before. At 7:45 am, these people still thought it was saturday night, and i felt decidedly underdressed. (this was alleviated when i actually arrived at the start and realized, among a sea of asics tank tops and funny little hats, one can never be underdressed at a race.) Mostly though, I spent the train ride wondering how many conditions would need to be met for me to stay up until 7 AM drinking, and concluded they all involved me sneaking home to take a five hour nap around 2 AM.
So when I got there, I lined up in the "slower than 1:50 group" because my unofficial goal was 2 hrs flat. Really, I just wanted to finish, but I was cautiously optimistic.
At the gun, it was your typical anarchy. Everyone forgets they have chips and decide they need to cross the line quick...and by quick they mean now.
I knew I was running fast early, and I knew the adrenaline was carrying me. In fact, I was telling myself by the third kilometer that "I'll learn from this." and "This is why we run these things, to make mistakes when they don't count." I wasn't sure how to record my splits because of the ridiculous metric system which means nothing to me. I simply have no spatial/time comprehension of a kilometer.(Every time I say this to Tessa's grandmother, she sighs, and sits me down. Then she tells me that there are one hundred centimeters in a meter. And one hundred meters in a kilometer. She explains this patiently, like she were talking to a particularly astute piece of balsa wood.) I finally decided to focus on 5K splits, since the beer ads told me that there were 21K in a half marathon, and 5K is the only useful distance for americans, besides 10K.
My first split came in around 25 minutes, which is pretty fast for me. I got nervous, and started to hypreventilate. Then I basically decided I could keep riding the adrenaline a little further and then slow down to a halfway normal pace. I also say my first cow of the day.

By 10K my legs were numb. I had found someone with whom I decided to keep pace by following the logic of, "Hey, his calves are roughly the same size as mine!" He apparently decided the same thing, since we spent a lot of time drafting for each other. Second split was just over 26 minutes. I don't remember any cows for this part.

At 15K I was less than happy, but I found a particularly good stretch of my ipod that seamlessly blended the raconteurs, belle and sebastian, and michael jackson's "PYT". Good times were had by all. I finally stopped to pee near a scary cow, and resigned myself to crawling the rest of the way. Third split was about 26:45

At 20K Belle and Sebastian's "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" came on. I wish I made that up. I was able to laugh in appreciation, but it ended up being the one song I skipped. At this point I realized that I was going to finish in under 1:50, so I'd say I was happy, if feelings could be felt through a haze of unconsciousness. Fourth Split: 24:45ish (I crawl faster than I run.)

By the finish, I was pretty beat, so there were no handstands or anything. I envisioned a mad sprint, but once I saw my time, I felt no need. Which was good, because I was crippled. I was pretty ecstatic though. For frame of reference to the H.S.H. (Hayes Street Haters), my time in Sonoma was 1:49:45 for twelve miles. I basically ran a mile further than I did then in a minute's less time. This is by far my best distance run, which is mostly attributable to race day superpowers, sure. I don't expect to carry that pace for a full marathon, but it is encouraging for a roughly 4 hour finish.

Tessa asked me afterwards how much further I could go at that pace, and I somewhat conservatively told her "five feet". In retrospect that wasn't fair. I'm pretty sure now I could have managed ten.

2 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Being the innate hater that I am, I am shocked to find myself asking the question, "Why ya gotta hate on the Kenyan method?" Just because it doesn't work for you... doesn't mean it doesn't have merit ;)

Congrats on that amazing time and finish! I wonder if your increased speed doesn't have something to do with the fact that you lost 9 hours in your move from CA to Köln. Hmmmm... Has air travel not only made you younger but also faster?

Did you drink beer when you finished the race? That is the true test of how crippled you were!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

By the way, totally unfair, cheap shot at all those half-marathon running autoerotic asphyxiators out there. You have revealed yourself to be an excellent hater, grasshopper.