Saturday, August 05, 2006

Moosie Marathonie Chimes In

So, a long time ago, in what seems a country far, far away the decision was made to run a 7.46 mile race and raise money for charity. The result was trek through many parts of the Bay Area I had not seen in my 11 years here. Not discounting a trudge through mud and pain to reach the Livermore Lab, spawning the mantra: Fuck You Jason Whitt, the runs brought us closer together and stronger together. In the end we both finished the race.

Here we are at the finish line. Our time was good. 1:04 for me. Not bad.

However, somewhere along that crazy road I made the decision to run a marathon. Was it the 35th birthday? Did I feel old and need to prove something to myself before my beer gut kept me from tying my shoes? Whatever it was the game was on and there was no turning back.

Training alone for a marathon is really nothing I wish on anyone. It was tough work getting up in the morning knowing the next 4 hours would be spent circling Golden Gate Park alone. The highlights were when you would see the same runner for the second or third time, knowing they were going through the same thing. The runs were nice and comfortable, but I never felt the strength that I thought I was going to need to finish the race.

A week before the race, I was on taper after all, I was supposed to run 10 miles. 4 miles in and my knee felt like it was going to jump right off my leg and run away. I was in so much pain I stopped and walked the rest of the way home. A week of ice, naproxen and rest and I entered race day not having run in 7 days. Not a good plan, as I understood it.

In the end the race went pretty well. I hit a wall at 20 miles that really slowed me down, but in the end I finished in 4:43:15!!!!!


Here's proof I actually ran the race. Well, proof I started anyway.


At 5:57 I'm 3 minutes away from the gun. I was in position and ready to get things started.

T-1 minute. On the starting line. I'm at the front of the wave and pretty much stay there eventually catching up to the previous wave. I'll spare all the details, but it was a great run and just finishing makes me feel awesome.

No comments: