Monday, August 07, 2006

My unexpected break from Running

Well, it was not really part of my plans to run a marathon and then take two weeks off, but it seems that that is what I will be doing. The day of the race I was uncomfortable, but what was I to expect? Then I went about my day on Monday limping a little but not too bad.
Hoping to help heal any damage from the race, I was icing my knees and ankles most of the day, as well as taking the max dose of naproxen. In the end I went to work on Thursday and was having difficulty teaching the second half of the class, because my right knee hurt so bad.
I decided it was time to see a doctor. I went to urgent care and they gave me a knee brace and a referral for physical therapy. I've been wearing the brace ever since. Even at the beach on Saturday. YOu should see that interesting tan line. The good news is my knee feels better and I'm even contemplating a yoga class tomorrow. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Running stats for the week of July 30 - August 5:
Total miles: 26.2 (marathon)
Nothing since. Looking head on into one more week without running.

Wish me luck on a speedy recovery. In order to stay on track for training for the December California International Marathon, I need to begin training on Wednesday August 16.

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

Good luck dude! It sounds like a lot of your symptoms are relatively (?) normal for someone who just finished their first marathoon. Which means I'm going to have a blast at Pordenone Film festival. Just don't cripple yourself. If you start relatively slow for December, you should be fine. I'll bet you're not remotely losing the fitness you are afraid you are :)
BTW, congratulations again!! you're the first!!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Thanks. I hope I'm not losing it. I've read different articles that say you have can relatively little activity for three weeks and not lose much, if you started with a lot. So, I'm confident my first run this weekend will be rather successful.

Thanks.