Sunday, April 01, 2007

Week In Review!

Before I tell you how the week went, I thought you might all want to know about today's celebrity sighting.
While we were picking up some groceries at the Safeway near the house we noticed this chap in line behind us. This is Jamie from the Discovery Channel show Mythbusters. He was nonchalantly buying a buttload of Ginger Ale, some cheap vodka, and some amaretto. Either this guy has very strange taste in cocktails or his show is about to get really cool!!!! And yes, the moustache is just as bad in person.
Now on to the running news. I finished my long run today!!!!! That's 16 miles for the week and I feel great. When I ran the first 2 miles on Tuesday I thought I was never going to make it on the long run. Another reason to just run to the next lightpole. If you make that bargain with yourself and just keep making it, it can work. Today I started out and told myself that I could walk briefly at mile 2. Then I said, "Nah, you can make it to the halfway point." Then it was, "Well just run back to the car." So I did. The car was mile 4 and I took a short break to get some water, blow my nose and regroup a bit. Even with this my times on the last three miles still dragged, but I ended the day with an average of 9:46/mile. The goal was 9:26, so I was quite proud to be so close.
Next week it's 18 miles and I'm sure it will be a lot easier than this week. I'm feeling good and there is no pain to speak of. So, I think I might be healed. That said, I am also on the quest to lose a little bit of weight. The last two months have not been kind. I weighed in this morning at 198. I want to lose at least 10 pounds before the B2B, so the diet starts today. I'll keep you all posted as the weeks progress. 10 pounds by B2B means I need to lose 1.4 pounds per week. I think I can do that. Just cutting out french fries should do it. :-)

The Week in Review:

Total Miles: 16
Total time: 2:33:48
Average Pace: 9:37/mile
Projected B2B Finishing Time: 71:44

Overall Impression: When Does the Beer Tent Open Exactly? (WDTBTOE?)

8 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

you're doing great and I know from experience that the weight can be tough but itis possible. Good luck and keep reaching.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Congrats on the week! You are coming back strong. Shiiiit, I felt all happy about my first week of 20 mi since forever, but your first week back and you are already at 16. Jeez. Those are some mighty fast shoes you purchased!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Little did I know they were fast AND good for distance!!

I didn't have much of a choice, I had to come back strong if I was going to be ready for the big race. Speaking of which, have you decided if you will be here?

tomodachi said...

am i the only one who likes the mustache?

oh, and great running sixpack. ;-)

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Sooo, the combo of ginger ale, vodka, and amaretto got me curious. Here's a cocktail recipe involving these ingredients (hey! this is DRUNK Runners after all....):
The Funnel Cloud #1

Ingredients:
* 40 oz Beer
* 12 oz Ginger ale
* 1/4 shot Vodka (Absolut)
* 1/4 shot Light rum
* 1/2 shot Amaretto

Mixing instructions:

Pour beer, ginger ale, vodka, light rum, and ameretto in a funnel. Turn the funnel while you drink it.

Thank you, Webtender.com!

tomodachi said...

wow. that drink sounds absolutely disgusting... and the funnel doesn't make it any more appealing, unless one is headed to a frat party and wants to bring a "fun" drink.

Sixpack Chopra said...

Agreed Tequila. I would further question why one would waste Absolut vodka on any recipe calling for a 40?

tomodachi said...

well, at least jamie from myth busters was buying cheap vodka...