Monday, April 23, 2007

London Marathon - Take Note

So, I had originally posted about the London Marathon and how 69.8 degrees shouldn't really be considered a heatwave, etc., until I saw that a runner has died. Who am I to judge what is hot and what is not? The news just hits the message home, once again, that hydration is so important. It is hard to rationally grasp that running, something potentially good for you, can kill you if you aren't tuned into your body and the running conditions for the day.

That having been said, I admit that I totally skipped the last mile of my 10 mile run on Saturday because it was f*ckin' hot!!!! By 11 am (when I hit the last mile) it had to already have been somewhere in the 80s and not a cloud in the sky. [I know that for those from AZ this sounds ridiculous]. No idea what percentage humidity but let's say "medium gooey" on the StickyMeter. However, my sister and I did plant waterbottles along our route which was an enormous help (except for the sloshing in my stomach and the overwhelming need to pee while running).

Oh, remind me sometime to blog about the sports massage I got. Some people store their stress in their shoulders, apparently I have knots in my glutes that require a woman to place all of her bodyweight on her pointy, little elbows . Don't EVEN start with me, Don! I know I am going to regret sharing that tid-bit.

Stats for the Week
Time: 2:42:20
Distance: 19.1
Avg: 8:29
Observation: Water = Life (W=L).

8 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

Did they say what the person died of? It could have been overhydration...Are you drinking water or sports drinks?

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Hey Stranger! They didn't mention the cause of death, but the article did address overhydration as equally dangerous as dehydration. (I am drinking water).

Clyde S. Dale said...

Was your therapist making any noises or giggling while she was elbow deep in your glutes. If she was could you tell us all about but go slow and don't leave out a single detail.

I recently went for one myself, her name was Dianne and she was amazing. I've tried two others since and have been dissapointed. The sad part is that Dianne only works once a month. I think I'm gonna have one done on BUSH St.

Clyde S. Dale said...

Continued: when I'm out for b2b. Just so I can say I had a massage from a nice looking woman on BUSH St.

Sixpack Chopra said...

And lucky for you all of the parlors on Bush St offer happy endings. And no, I'm not kidding. There are parlors on Bush St.

Sixpack Chopra said...

Sports Drink, Sports Drink, Sports Drink!!!! It can't be stressed enough. The chances of overhydration, are severely minimized with sports drinks. It's not actually too much water, but too little sodium in balance with your water. It's called hyponatremia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia check it out. You should be stashing at least some sports drinks on your route, and you'll probably find the sloshing goes away, because the sodium, potassium and whatever else, help the body absorb the fluids much, much faster!!!!!!!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. I didn't drink all that much, but I will certainly start putting gatorade or powerade along the route. My sister mentioned that the premade bottles of gatorade are actually concentrated and should be diluted...

Sixpack Chopra said...

Dayton agrees. he says they are better mixed 1:1 with water. I buy the canisters of powder and mix my own, which are much more diluted than standard gatorade. My favorite: Raspberry from Gu20.