Sunday, April 08, 2007

I Didn't Break My Leg!

I went to the Doctor on Friday and he says I didn't break my leg, but that I was having shin splints. Now I had felt something I thought was shin splints for years, but it turns out I hadn't quite felt it all yet. He says my 16 miles last week was a bit much and that I should cut it back and use lots of ice. Which is what I am doing. Oh, and he gave me an extra referral to Physical Therapy. If only I could pass it on to P.P. for her issues.

There will be no run today, I'll pick it back up on Tuesday and cut some of the miles back. I'm feeling much better today and I don't think this is going to slow me down too much.

Overall Impression: Birthday Is Over And I Love Fondue! (BIOAILF)

3 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

Great to hear no serious injury.

As for passing on the PT prescription, if PP would E-mail me with what her issues are I could try and get some free advice to help her.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Oh Donno! You crack my shit up! Shin splints, really? I could have diagnosed you over the phone, no problemo. Me and the shin splints go WAY back. Anywho, glad to hear that you are in one piece and back in the game. Forest, thanks for the advice (I promise not to sue you!) ;) My biggest problem right now is just my lower back. After my long runs (9 mi.) it is incredibly tight. I discovered, thanks to my sister's observation, that I swing my arms a bit across my body instead of straight, which could account for some twisting motion and thus the tightness. Like I said, if a sports massage or deep tissue massage doesn't clear it up, I will head to the Dr. Any tips? Otherwise, the bionic knees are actually fine and I haven't had any repeat problems with my foot.

Clyde S. Dale said...

PP one thing I have found that helps the lower back is stretching my hips. You probably know how already but here you go any how. Sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you. Take your right leg and cross it over the left leg with your foot sitting above your left knee on the floor. Pull your right knee towards your left shoulder. repeat oppisite. Remember to hold all stretch's for minnimum of 30 secs to allow the muscle to relax and actually stretch. Good luck. Also stretch your hams more. Easy ham stretch's upon request.