Friday, April 06, 2007

Of Birthdays and Injuries!

You heard it correctly, folks. It is my TWIN sister's birthday today!!!! A shout out to MamaSchu and a happy birthday. You can forward any gifts to her through me. She really likes the Pet Shop Boys, the Berlin Wall, and things that sparkle.
In honor of her birthday I have decided to take the day off today. I'm not only taking the day off we are going out with friends to celebrate my TWIN sister's birthday, by having Fondue at the Matterhorn in her honor. We'll be eating lots of cheese (Wisconsin, if they have it.); drinking some wine and somewhere we'll be getting a beer. That's all I know. I hope she appreciates the sacrifices we will be making for her birthday out here.
As my TWIN sister turns 36, I thought it would be a good time to look back at the past year and assess where I've been and where I am. One year ago we were training for the Bay to Breakers. I don't think we had yet crossed the 12 mile run mark, which means that 365 days ago, I had never run further than 10 miles. What I has happened since then? Bay to Breakers was awesome. I only wish DJ had been there to ensure a party animal at the beer tent. PP's graduate student husband shut the party down early. Goddamned Master's Thesis! I've since completed 2 marathons and run over 500 miles. Not bad for a guy who 10 years ago could barely climb a flight of stairs. So, as my TWIN sister turns another year older, I have to say, I'm very happy with where I am. I may still be a whining perpetually injured runner that works nerves of that Bizarro Chopra (Nick), but in the end, I'm happy to be here.
Speaking of Nick. Now comes the bad news. I'm going to the doctor today to have him check out my ankle. It's been having funny pains for the past few days and I want to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong. All the online info I can find leads me to think I might have a stress fracture. Pray to Pope DJ that this is not the case. I'll of course be posting if I'm taken out of commission, but only after I celebrate MamaSchu's birthday today.

In summary:

Happy Birthday, MamaSchu!

Week's miles: 8

Time: 75:00

Average: 9:22

Overall Impression: Getting Faster! All I Need Is Some Soccer Practice! (GF!AINISSP!)

2 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

I would like to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mamaschu. I was going to call her twin and wish him one as well but it would appear by his post that his B-day isn't today or maybe it is. I'm getting to old to think this much, the good thing is you're catching me. In a few years you'll be older than I am now.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

HAPPY BIRFFFFDAY Mamaschu. Clearly your TWIN got all the good genes ;) Te he he. Happy birthday Donno! I am sorry I missed it. Another year older, another year wiser! Now you'll be hearing people say things like, "36, really? He has the perky ass of a 22 year old." Whereas before they said, "35, really? He has the perky ass of a 22 year old." :)