Monday, April 09, 2007

I'm slow but I'm F*CKING BACK!!

I started out the weekend with no run on Friday, part of my new plan see post below. So I took Friday and Saturday off, On Saturday I decided to get a massage it felt great but I actually hurt worse after. Although upon awakening Sunday morning I felt great I got up had a few pieces of toast packed my things for my run stretched and took off.
I ran 3 miles and felt good so I kept running. People were gathering around running behind me and asking me for my advice on everything. One asked me "how do you know when it's time to stop, when you've run enough?" I replied a wise friend once said that if you spit and you run into the spit then you're NOT tired you haven't run far enough, that you can run two more miles. Next thing I knew everyone behind me was spitting some turned around some kept going. In the end I was the only one left running and then it dawned on me, I kept running into my spit because I was needing fluids, I was spitting what was the equivalent of cotton balls in to the wind. No wonder they kept hitting me! I decided it was time to turn around I ate a gel pack (they should package them in rice paper the foil ones are hard to swallow) drank some water while I walked a ways then hit the trails again. I did this one more time as well as a restroom break and two stops for stretching. The massage brought my pinched nerve back to what I remember them to be like. Instead of a dull shooting pain that if I grinned and bared the pain I could run with it, to a pain that would make my leg useless. Good news if I stopped stretched my back, sides, quads and hips I could run pain free again. This run felt good it wasn't fast But I was able to run 17.2 miles I needed to run 18 to be back on track. I didn't know how far I had gone until I was done and drove it with the truck. I let my body tell me when to turn around. I ran the 17.2 in 3 hrs 15 min 52 sec. I know I know slow BUT I F#CKING DID IT!!!!!!!!! I was pumped I felt like I had run the marathon. Afterward I took an ice bath, if anyone is wondering they do work but guys you'll have to pee sitting down for a few days until he decides to pop out again, POOR GUY!

Distance: 27.2 miles

Time: 4hrs 58mins 32secs

Pace: I really don't want to know I'm happy enough to be running again!

Overall impression: Any day you can run is a good day. No, a great day! (ADYCRIAGD.N,AGD!)

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

17 miles is very impressive. Sorry to hear about all of the pain. They say, however, that stopping and starting doesn't affect the body much. 17 miles is 17 miles. Way to go!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Excellent run, Forest! Whew! 17 miles is about what I manage in an entire week, let alone one single run. As for the "spit theory," I have had to revize it in order to account for wind!!! ;)