Friday, June 22, 2007

A Jog by the Infirmary

My boys are down. My girls are out.
Man, talk about the grind of running. To paraphrase George Burns (I know,I know...again):

Running is a hideous bitch goddess.

Here are my runs from the past week:


I pulled off nine miles on Sunday after about five beers on Sunday night. I was pretty proud, because I really wasn't feeling it and the sun was absolutely murder. I had a six miler and then two four milers after that. I'm trying to hover around 20 miles a week, but I don't want to run more than four times a week. So I...holy christ this is boring...okay...time to get sensationalist...

I ran by my Doppelgänger two weeks ago.

No, seriously. I was running by the canal that leads to the stadium, when I happened to chance a look up. This in itself is odd because my running posture usually dictates that my head is pointed straight down to the point I'm actually looking slightly behind me through my legs. I always have a great idea of where I just was.
Anyway, I saw this guy, and I swear to christ, He looked just like I look in pictures of me running. Same form, same gait...the guy was even wearing a tight bright yellow top and blue shorts...I mean come on, I'm the only straight guy on the continent that dresses like a swedish figure skater. Something was up.
Anyway, I sped up and I caught him, and even his face looked like mine. Well, it was perched on one hell of an adams apple and it had a nose...and I have a nose...it was uncanny, really...and it literally freaked me out a little. What does it mean? Is it a harbinger of my running doom? Is it a harbinger of your running doom?

Christ. I wish I didn't see me.

Anyway, two things of consequence:

First, I hope all of you who are injured and overwhelmed with real life get a breather soon and get a chance to lace up and get out there. I'm pulling for all of you.

Second, Tessa and I are moving to London soon. That means I'm going to be updating more frequently as I figure out where to run there, how to run there, and when to run there. It'll be a new adventure, and although it won't be as great as the "Wedding-Day-Something-Km.", it should make for an interesting Autumn.

5 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

For the record, that post last night was my first Drunkrunners contribution written while actually drunk. hooray!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Hooray for you!!!! And there is such clarity! I can't write when drunk. It's kind of like writing stoned, type a few words, then "Oh look at the pretty keys!" Well Done!

And Keep it up on the running. You're doing great! And you totally kicked my ass on the 100 miles! I hope the move doesn't slow you down too much. I'll be back running on Monday and ready to kick it again!

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

I don't know why, but you moving to London makes me think of Morrissey's "Hairdresser on Fire" - Oh, here is London "Home of the brash, outrageous and free" You are repressed But you're remarkably dressed Is it Real?

Anywho, please please please keep running so that I may run vicariously through you. It is almost July 1st which means that instead of turning into a fat pumpkin (which I have already become) I begin to get to turn back into the sleek, speedy runner I once used to be. Until then, the burden is on you and your Doppelgänger!

Clyde S. Dale said...

Keep pounding for all of us. I can't waite to put on the shoes and run more than a mile at a time.
Good luck on the move!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Ugh. Looks like you haven't been running!!! Your widget is flat.

BTW, can you show/tell me how to install the widget myself? I'm not running at the moment, but would still like to be ready!