Thursday, June 14, 2007

Playing with Nike + (again)

So it looks like Nike+ has developed widgets you can embed into your blog in order to show people your running progress. Shall we test? I concur:



Look at that! Now you all can see the little-green-line-that-is-my-run! For my last five runs! And by restricting the swoosh to the top right corner, we're only providing Nike with moderate free advertising. Except for the fact that I'm dedicating the title of this post to them. Again.


(But seriously kids, that Nike+ sure is something.)


The week has been pretty chill, as you can see by my times. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, just happy to log me some miles without the effort of going fast. I figure I'll work on speed again soon enough, but I'm not interested in burning out right now. I realized in my quest to reach those sub-7 minute miles that I wasn't enjoying my runs as much as I used to. I didn't have the time to reflect on my day, or organize my thoughts about work. I also couldn't rehearse catty comments I might have used in certain past situations, just in case similar opportunities to be passive aggressive arrive in the future...and I love doing that, it's why my delivery is so good. In short, all focus on breathing and footwork, but no zen.

I've basically been running about four times a week, trying to hover around 20 per week, and trying to just stay ahead of wherever Don might be while he's running circles around his camp. ("This one time, at band camp, I went so fast that I ran into my own spit!") BUT, as I have no idea where he is, this race to 100 might already be decided and I'll be polishing my silver medal with my tears.

The real running story in Cologne this week is Tessa. She finished three miles today in spite of a medley of maladies (ha ha, see what I did there?). I have to be honest. I thought she was going to puke by the first mile marker. But she always kept on going, puke free, while utilizing this cute little right-leg-swing running style that makes it look like she's running with an invisible Skip-It.
Basically, every time I would have fallen down, rolled over, and started sucking on mud for water and valuable earthwormy sustenance, she not only didn't fall down, but, um...kept going...

She's unstoppable when she decides she'll finish a certain distance. It's simply "how she rolls". So I'm saluting her for her dedication and also to remind her that when she started running earlier this year her goal was to be able to finish a 5K. Now she regularly runs four miles at a go and is looking squarely down the barrel at running not only five lousy kilometers, but 5 miles. How cool is that?

3 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

It sounds like Tessa is on fire, focused on her goal and pushing to keep it going. Actually surpassing and just moving ahead to the next goal. Those are the things we all want to hear to keep us pushing ourselves. So tell me why doesn't she have a name and a way to post her self.

dr. deetschei said...

Looks like we're holding down the fort until everyone else returns, Forest!
Man, I've tried to get Tessa to blog but she just doesn't want to. As it stands, I just get to steal her running stories and use them in my post.

Clyde S. Dale said...

Some one ahd to stay behind and hold it down. I guess they have a lot of trust and confidents in us.