Saturday, June 16, 2007

Alive and Kicking but not Running

Hi. I suck. I suckity suck suck suck. If there was an award for the biggest and best sucker, I would win it hands down.

In an attempt to

a) finish my dissertation by the summer deadline
b) finish it by the deadline so I don't have to pay between $4-10,000 that I don't have
c) avoid being disowned by everyone in my family, who spent their hard earned money to travel to CA to watch me walk across the stage at graduation

I have had to hunker down and have placed myself in a self-imposed, Paris-Hilton-style lockdown (minus the orange jumpsuit and having to take out my weave) until July 1st. That means there has been no all-night partying on the Vegas strip, no getting paid thousands of dollars to show up at parties and clubs, no catfights with other celebrity rehab sluts, and the greatest tragedy: no running.

I know what you are all going to say, and I know that you believe what you are saying. But it ain't happening. I simply can't justify taking an hour or even half-hour out of my day right now to run (because as we all know, it isn't really just the actual time it takes to run. You have the warm up, the run, the cool down, the lie around until your brain starts functioning again, and then the shower). Big production.

I am in super overdrive mode right now, which consists of 4 hrs of sleep and pots (plural!!!!) of coffee. Shiiiiiit, I can't even drink my regular pint-sized vodka tonic right now because if I do, I go sleepy sleep! That is to give you an idea of just how bad the situation is.

Okay, enough sob story. The point is that I haven't been posting because there is nothing to post. I have run a few short (3 mi, and 1.5 mi) runs, and I would totally post about them, but it would sound something like this: "I HATE TEXAS IN THE SUMMER!!!! If I wanted to feel like I was running through warm, sticky mollases at 8pm at night, then I would f*cking fill my bathtub with warm, sticky mollases, etc." But since I do not want to be a big complainer, I haven't posted.

Starting in July, I will be back on the road, starting from the beginning and trying to get back to where I was a month ago. (I hate that). But, it is a challenge and it is a challenge that I welcome right now. I miss running. I do. Who knew? But I really do! Stupid advanced degrees and stupid swimming pools. I am pretty sure that I can attribute this month of hell to the fact that I spent all last summer lying by the pool getting a gorgeous tan and "reading" for my dissertation.

Anyway. That is it for now. Keep your eyes peeled for my posts next month. In the meantime, KEEP TRUCKIN' people!!!! If anything, reading about your successes only makes me want to get out on the road even more. I need that! So keep posting.

3 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

Keep writing paris, YOU CAN DO IT!( said in the voice of the guy from waterboy.
I alsobelieve you can bitch about Texas summers, hell all you all heard from me this winter was me bitching about the weather. So let it all out baby, Let it all out!

Sixpack Chopra said...

You're doing great. Come back in July and kick some ass! With your rested legs, and stronger drive you should be back on top in no time!!

dr. deetschei said...

YOU CAN DO IT!