Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Swimmer's Life for Me!!!!

Well folks, it's been forever since I've logged in here and offered up the story of my existence. And let's just say it's been a rough few weeks. I'll detail it all as follows:

1) I ran a wonderful 9 mile run the day before summer camp, and was very excited to get the chance to run at camp. My run took me from Jacki's house in Milwaukee all the way to New Berlin and back. That's New Burrlin - emphasis on the Burr-, not to be confused with the same city formerly called Neu Berlin. We must distance ourselves from the Nazis, but I digress. It was a sunny day, if a bit warm, and afforded me the chance to do some heat running. halfway through the run I was out of water and feeling pretty parched so I stopped at a gas station to get more water. I, of course, didn't have any money so I asked the guy if he would fill my water bottle. He said, "Out of the faucet? I don't drink tap water in New Burrlin, but I do drink it at home in Mukwonago." (Ever notice how Wisconsin city names sound like those of African-American High Schoolers) Anyway, with a little effort, explaining to him that I was on mile 5 and had more to go, he filled my water bottle and I headed back. I spent the rest of the day a little dehydrated. Definitely an argument for hydration in the heat. I got a little bit of the feeling that Haterella must get running in the L.J.

2) On Sunday of Camp I got the strangest pain in my upper buttocks - right at the top of the crack/bottom of my tattoo - with shooting pains going down the back of my right leg, and wrapping around to the shin. I never felt a thing in my left leg. I went to the nurse - the same Jacki mentioned above - and she prescribed anti-inflammatories in pathetically low doses, but I followed her advice and it did help me stay out of pain for most of the week. Of course, this put me in the wierdest position I've ever been in at camp. I was the cabin leader, already a tough job, and had a camper that I was incapable of lifting. So here I am in a leadership role having to say to Joe, "Joe, it's time for my camper to go to bed, can you do that for me?" I wasn't sure yet what was happening with the leg/back and didn't want to take any risks. So, Joe lifted my camper all week, and I did everything else. With "Don for Scale" here is a picture of my camper, Ramon. You can maybe see how I shouldn't have been lifting him all week. He is a great kid and we had a great time. Someday I'll tell you about the racist fish that was not hanging at the end of that fishing line.

3) After a week at camp I was still in pain, which meant cancelling the run Forrest and I had planned. Of course, he cancelled it as well, so it was really more like we shouldn't have scheduled it in the first place. In a kismet sort of way, we are both having similar back problems. Upon returning to SF I went to the clinic and had an appointment with a doctor about my back. Having had scoliosis for 25 years, I don't usually see a doctor for back pain, but this was one of those times when I didn't know what to do and thought a doctor might be able to help. Well, I still don't think she knew much, but that's just me. She very perfunctorily said I did not have Sciatica because I could still feel my toes. Why thanks, Doc, but I would surely be here to see you long before I lost feeling in my toes, dontcha think? Anyway, guess what I got? A referral to physical therapy!!!!!

4) Yes, I was released from my last round of physical therapy right before camp, and said a near teary good-bye to my therapist who was retiring. Then I was back before he actually left, with yet another problem. He was confused to see me and even asked if he was seeing me as a patient that day. :-) He was a good guy and it was with hesitation that I returned there without him. But the new therapist is great. After 3,000 questions he ascertained that I had a pinched nerve originating at the L5. Labelled "5" in this X-Ray. So he prescribed some exercises and things are already feeling better. One of the biggest things I'm to do is lie down. Can you imagine that? I'm supposed to just lie there. Who does he think he is talking to? I mean, if I'm not running I'd rather be lying down. So, I'm pretty much loving the recovery. Lots of naps. I'll say that.

5) Instead of running for the past week, I have been swimming, again at the Hearst pool, and although I'm still working on my form, I'm getting better and really enjoying it. My last workout was for 24 minutes, and I intend to increase it by 2 minutes everytime I go, until I reach 35 minutes. At 35 minutes I'll work on intensity. In the meantime I continue to work on my form and to try to figure out how to breathe. As a runner it's tough for me to get used to the idea that I can't just gasp anytime I need to. This has been the biggest hurdle. Add to that the fact that Forrest and I learned how to swim in the neighbor's indoor swimming pool, and you have two people that have no idea how to swim competitively, or even gracefully. The widest point in the pool was probably 30 feet long. So, it's going to be a struggle.

Now, I wait for the release of the Speedo+ iPod!!!!!!! Wouldn't that be awesome? It could measure my laps, my pace, my calories, how many times I swallowed someone else's pee, everything!!!!!

THE RECOVERY PLAN:

Tomorrow begins the full-on recovery plan. It will involve continuing my physical therapy, but will be supplemented by some better exercises.

Over the past year we have worked in PT on upper body strength, so that is the new emphasis to cross-training.

1) Swimming: I'll continue to swim 2 days a week at the Hearst Pool.
2) Running: As my back allows I will begin running on Tuesday and increase mileage the best I can.
3) Gymnastics: Starting next week I'll begin taking classes again at Acrosports. I was doing this when I was at SFSU and I loved it. It works the upper body to death and it's something I really enjoy. So, look out. As soon as that first paycheck from Summer Teaching comes in, I am there!!!!!

With all of these combined exercises, I hope to improve my stamina, my running and my injury prevention, while having a good time and enjoying my exercise again. I'll post again next week to update you all to the progress.

In the meantime, get off your asses and at least post to let us know you are still alive!!!!!!

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Sorry for the length of that post. I guess I had a lot to say.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Hmmm, not to be the pesky voice of academia, but when do you find time to read and prepare for exams????? :) If I could figure out how to write while running, I would so be there! Well, I am glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. I think we need a pic. of you in your speedo though. Otherwise it is just really hard for me to visualize you swimming (te he he). Hey, I think I am at a point in my workload where you and I can begin our little mini-races each week, but we are going to have to start out with shorter miles.