Sunday, June 10, 2007

Two weeks off.....Time to RUN!!!!!!

Well folks it has been two weeks since the marathon, I had a few lingering effects but not bad. On the Monday after I could hardly walk, but by Tuesday I was 75% better ,Wednesday 95% and I stayed there for a while as I ended up with tendinitis in my left ankle. Kind of weird, when I would move my ankle it sounded like I was pooring milk into a bowl of Rice Krispies. PP I met your Dr on That Thursday. I went to the same clinic I always go but the docs I normally see were booked up so I said it was fine to put me with someone I'd never ever seen before. Well that was a waste of time; I went in he looked it over and told me I just needed to rest and that I should stop running, that it's bad for the human body and that if I continue I will have lasting effects for the rest of my life.
Well I said to him, "would those lasting effects be feeling better about yourself, Like being more confident than ever before.....a natural way to cope with depression.....more energy..... a longer life and better sexual stamina, cause that's what I've found so far!" The funny part, he got pissed and said I was one of those people that was hooked on running like some people are on drugs and that I was impossible. I told him thanks for nothing, told the people at the front desk that he was a QUACK and left. I went right from the Dr. clinic to the Physical therapy clinic. I walked into the office told the lady's my story, Wendy grabbed my foot took my shoe and sock off, examined it and told me it was tendinitis. She told me what to do for it, a few stretches and do some brisk walks or real short (1 mile) runs at a slow pace to get the circulation going good in the ankle. Within a week I was better. In the past year my most serious medical problems, a torn stomach muscle, a sciatic nerve problem and this tendinitis were diagnosed by PT's not Doctors! So what the hell? I think if you have the sniffles they should make an appt. with a doctor, if you have a muscle or joint problem make an appointment with a PT. But you have to waste your money with a doctor first so they can refer you to a PT. OK done whining, I just wanted PP to know the big quacks weren't just in Texas, Wisconsin has them as well.
Well back to good things, I have finished my last epidural in my back it was a series of three. Which are supposed to reduce the inflammation in my lower back. It has helped some, I can at least do my exercises for my back now without pain or as much pain, which will help to reduce the pain even more. Hopefully it will be gone for good.
I am going to take the summer and work on my speed. I have joined a miler training group which should help drop my times and help me with my form. In the mean time I will be training for a half in Milwaukee in the end of September. It's going to be tough to fit it all in with working a full time job and going to school in the evenings, but I'll make it work. I bought a bike on Friday for cross training and Wendy is going to teach me how to swim properly so I can use that as well. I never had swimming lessons as a kid, never thought I would need them as an adult, but I want the the cardio and upper body work that it gives. Plus I'm thinking about trying a few Tri's next summer if I can master the swimming .
Well today was the first day back in the sneakers since the 27Th of May. I went out for a short three mile run at a leisurely pace and it felt good to be running again. I got to the half way point and felt like I should just keep going further but I thought if I do that I'll go to the next road, then the next county, then the state line. Well we've all seen it before, the next thing you know I'd be drawing a crowd and running down a peer at the ocean, so I turned around at a mile and a half and headed home.

Miles: 3

Time: 30 min 30 sec

Pace: 10:07

Overall impression: Some doctors need a running shoe in the ASS and an open hand in the back of the head. Oh and being back in my shoes felt good! (SDNARSITAAAOHITBOTH.AOBBIMSFG!)

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

ha ha ha ha! great post, forest. sounds like you're recovering nicely. give that doctor hell for all of us. good idea to pace your return, and DAMN you have a busy schedule!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Good for you, telling off that Dr!!!!! Way to go! Keep up the training!