Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Working my way back into it

I really want to avoid the four month lay-off that I had after my last marathon and have been very carefully easing my way back into running. I've been taking it easy, but am proud to say that I ran three miles twice last week. The first run was done very gingerly, and I could definitely feel some stiffness in my knee and quads. By the second run, I felt a little bit more, um, normal during the runs. The only real difference was that I was absolutely beat AFTER my runs. By the time I was ready to go to bed on both nights, I felt like I had run a lot more than three miles.

Yesterday I decided to try five miles. I like five miles because it is a route I have run a million times, and it is a route that at least takes me to the threshold of Greenwich Park. Even if I don't get into the park, I like the feeling of being able to run far enough so that I may actually see it.

In short, the run went really well. And I slept really well again last night. Its amazing but I think that if I keep on taking it easy for the next few weeks, I should be running again like normal within a month. And if things really go well, I would like to run a half marathon sometime this spring. With a jogging stroller and a baby! :)

3 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

Getting back into the swing of things after a marathon is tough. When you accomplish that, let us know how you did it. I seem to be the four month person all the time.
CONGRATS on the baby stroller, just being back to reading the blog I didn't know you were with child. I'll have to get the name of the stroller we have at the store, it's a little pricy but it's sweet.

Clyde S. Dale said...

Dr.D if you did a 4:08 this last marathon that is awesome and really push's us to try and keep up. I love it!!! CONGRATS!!!

dr. deetschei said...

4:08:45, my man. thats the new time to beat, so get out there and BEAT MY TIME!