Monday, November 24, 2008

Marathon Plus Three Weeks

Today marks the four week mark from the marathon, and I celebrated by running the five miles I wanted to run yesterday. I was intent on running yesterday. I really did want to. But it was freezing, literally. And it was raining. And as I was peering out the window debating on whether the rain had let up enough that I would only get wet and not drenched, Tessa pointed out that to run for an hour in the rain when not specifically training for something bordered on the insane. I looked at her, saw the wisdom in her beautiful brown eyes, and decided she spoke the truth. Why the hell would I run in freezing rain unless I had to?

So we went to the science museum instead and played with an infrared camera that could show the outline of her bra through her sweater. Sweet.

Since I skipped Sunday’s run, I only ran eleven miles last week. But since those levven came in two runs, I was pleased. Tuesday’s run was six miles, and Thursday’s run was five. I must say that these runs do continue to leave me exhausted at the end of the day, but my legs felt pretty strong throughout the runs themselves. I was looking forward to a solid three run/fifteen mile week, which is why the rain yesterday disappointed me a little. BUT, having said that, I’m cool with two runs for eleven miles.

Besides, I was reading some articles on Runner’s World, and they were pretty unanimous in stating that recovery from a marathon takes four weeks. That means that my taking it easy was in line with my recovery, and now I should be free to slowly build back up to twenty mile weeks.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. This week I will be running three miles on Tuesday, three miles on Friday, and five miles on Sunday. The last two runs have a super significance because Sixpack will indeed be blessing London from his Sixpackmobile this Thanksgiving, and we will have the chance to run together for the first time in, um, literally years I think. (Dude, when was the last time we ran together, anyway?) I’m looking forward to depleting London’s wine and beer supplies with him and then hitting some of the paths through the urban jungle that I term “running routes.”

It’s gonna be sweet.

Week in Review

Total Miles: Eleven
Total Time: No Idea
Average: Got Me
Overall Impression: Loving the fact that I’m mobile. (L.T.F.T.I.M.)

1 comment:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Can't wait to go running this weekend. If memory serves me correctly our last run together was May 4, 2006. I don't know why I remember the date. :-) It's been way too long.