Sunday, November 09, 2008

Week 1 of 40

Yep, that's right. 40 weeks to train for the next marathon. I'm already really glad I have given myself so much time, because, let me tell you, I was out of shape. I use that "was" lightly. I am still out of shape, but already feeling better than I was.
I've crossed a bit of a hurdle this week. As of today, I have successfully completed 5 consecutive training runs. I haven't done that since perhaps April. I haven't always kept such good records, so I can't be exactly sure.
This weeks goal was simply to get back on course. I've run the numbers for a 1/2 marathon training course that will finish right when I should be starting the other training, i.e. Sub 4-hour Marathon in 6 months (the book has not yet arrived). This means I was slated for 6 miles this week, which I have completed.
Each run got successively easier, to the point that I already know that running 3-miles next Sunday will not be a big deal. Which, I'm very excited about. If it is this easy this early, hopefully my muscles will continue to remember the strains it has previously been under, and will continue to perform.
The Garmin running watch is also great. It has freed me up a lot in my running. I just need to consult it occasionally to find out where I am and when I need to turn around. Right now I'm not so worried about time, although I'm averaging a good pace. A pace, that if I can keep it up, will mean only needing to take 16 seconds off per mile in order to run a sub 4-hour race. Not bad. Not bad.

Next week: 7 miles.
This Week's Stats:
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 55:33
Average Pace: 9:16
Overall Impression: Is This Thing On? Am I Really Running That Fast Already? (ITTO?AIRRTFA?)

3 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

great pace for just getting started. this will keep me motivated, I can't be out done by my little brother. Just be sure to listen to your body, eat right and hydrate. I think a sixer a night should do that!

Sixpack Chopra said...

Beer IS more hydrating than water. That's what Tippy tells me.
I'm keeping up with that, but it's much tougher drinking a sixer when they are 22.5 ounces. I'm giving it my DrunkRunner best, though!

dr. deetschei said...

sounds like your journey has begun. i'm ready to cheer for you whever you need it. you can be the one who breaks four hours, just keep hammering at it!