Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A Running Skort, You Say? The Confessions of a Reformed Skort Skeptic

I know what you are thinking. I thought it too. Why in the world would you need to run in a skirt? Ridiculous and just a little impractical! I have never felt some undeniable urge or need to look particularly girly while running. The only person I had ever seen running in a skirt was a bottle blond with a fake tan,* which only served to reinforce my prejudice against such running attire. Well, dear female readers (and male readers who might find the idea of a running skirt appealing), I have come to the realization that running skirts are not simply about appearance! I recant any unkind remarks I might have uttered under my breath about women who wear skirts to run. I have been converted.

Me likey the running skirt, and let me tell you why. It feels like you are running in your birthday suit (minus the embarrASSment of people seeing your naked bum bouncing down the road).

Ginifer loaned me one of her recently purchased Skirt Sports "Gym Girl" skirts to try out.
She boasted about the comfortable waistband that gave the impression that there was no waistband. I was still highly skeptical. For those who didn't know, but might care, running skirts tend to be a combination of compression short with a skirt overlay. This particular skirt is made with mesh compression shorts - never fear, the mesh is thick enough that if the wind were to blow your skirt up a bit, you wouldn't feel like you had just flashed the entire neighborhood. They are sewn together and depending on the brand, can either be amazing or look dumpy and ride up while running. The skirt mentioned above belongs to the former category.**

I have been a Nike Tempo Track Short kinda girl for the last 1-2 years. Lately, I have been highly displeased with the amount of "creep"*** that I have endured while running. The compression shorts prevent the "creep" and chafing that occurs with regular shorts while the skirt hides the compression shorts.

Now, I have tested only this one brand of skirt, so I can't speak to all running skirts out there (although I tried on a few the other day and could immediately "see" why the TRIKS - skirt spelled backwards- Gym Girl was more expensive. Sometimes the old adage is really true: you get what you pay for.

To all those skirt runners out there, I apologize for hastily dismissing your decision to run in a skirt for superficial purposes. I see now that there are comfort benefits to running in a skirt and I might just run the OKC marathon in one! And, not to brag, but I looked awfully cute in that running skirt! ;)

* Oh, by the way, this is the pot calling the kettle black. Yes, I used to be a blond and I used to be tan. I never said I wasn't just a tiny bit vain!
** A word of caution: if you sweat a lot, like me, go for a darker color like black to avoid any unsightly sweat stains that might be misconstrued to resemble Fergie's pee-pant debacle.
*** Something akin to my inner thighs eating my shorts but not to be confused with camel toe!!!!


2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

I don't know what to say. I never thought Dr. PP would be caught dead running in a skirt. What's next? A Manicure the night before the race?
I might have to check out one of those skirts. Bay to Breakers maybe?

scooter said...

If anyone can pull it off I have faith in you Sixpack... expecially with those new found skinny runners legs.