Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bad knee blues!

Week 7:
I ran 8 miles with Kojac today. I love running with a partner!! I find it very motivating! We ran our 7 miler together last week as well. The 7 miler was not so bad. It was a bit icy in spots but we worked through it.We had to stop 1 time to for a few seconds only to get me thru a side stitch the rest of the run was nonstop. YEAH us! We both thought that we were gonna die by the end but alas we prevailed to run again! My mid week run run SUCKED!! I was scheduled for 6 miles but had to surrender after a mere 3. I had no energy that day, no motivation and my legs were not cooperating at all. So yesterday I was not looking forward to. We found a new trail right around the corner from my house. It is a serene woodsy run(hear the birds chirping in the background?) overall the run was great.
However!! around half way i stared to get a pain in the outside of my knee. I had the same pain last week and kept running. it hurt at the end but was not debilitating. So, 5 miles in and the knee kicks in, I keep going and going. Right around 71/2 in I go to check my ipod and sometime around 7 miles I hit a button trying to switch songs and turned off my nike+. I paused in the trail for a second to see if I could get it to resume(which didnt happen by the way) and my knee locked up in that 30 seconds. I could not bend it to walk it let alnoe run. After a few hobbles I got it to bend enough that I could run like quasimodo. I had my left leg locked in a semi-bent position and ran with my right leg while swing my left leg from the hip. What a sight. I am glad we were in the woods so only the squirrels could laugh! I had to wear a compression brace the rest of the day. I could bend the knee until late in the evening.
Any ideas on what could be causing this. It does not happen on my shorter runs. I am going to consult my doc this week, But I cannot keep running if this is going to continue to happen. I am getting into alot of phsycal training at the fire station and cannot be slowed by a running injury. any such injury will knock me out of training until next January when the next class starts and we are half way thru.

1 comment:

dr. deetschei said...

hey scooter! sorry about the delay. i am in the middle of a very hectic working period and have been less dedicated to the blog than i should be.
you have a problem with your IT band. (iliotibial i think). i had this after my marathon, and sixpack has also had problems with it. it is a pretty common occurance among runners.
basically, it happens when you either up miles too quickly or run downhill a lot. it seems horrible because, unlike the stitch, you can't "run through it". you will have to stop for a bit. but in reality it is not as debilitating as it seems. there are a few stretches that you may do before your run and, if needed, at the outset of the tightening, to help things tremendously.
you can google this for a long list of stretches, but the most effective one for me is a simple toe-touch with crossed legs. while standing, swing one leg behind the other so your right leg is on the other side of your left foot, and then touch your toes (or bend down) and hold for a good fifteen second. switch your legs and repeat. you feel it stretching the outside of your knee, probably exactly where you felt it tightening up. if you do this a few reps of this before every run, you should be okay.
i was out of running for a month because of this. BUT, after i learned a few stretches, i was back in the game and loving life. i hope this helps!!!!