Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ankle Sprain

I probably should not have written about injuries without first checking the jinx potential of such an act. It turns out that I jinxed myself good. With an electrified jinxinator...On evidently the jinxiest day of my life.

As we were walking back to London Bridge last night (YES from a pub, NO I was not drunk. Okay maybe a little.) I managed to step onto a miniature manhole cover and twist my ankle. It was a completely random occurrence in which my foot found, among of all the surfaces in London, the one place where it most definitely did not belong at that given moment. It's unlucky and I'm still confused because I'm not even entirely sure what the function of this mini-manhole could be; do they have Smurf labor in the city that nobody told me about? Maybe it was put there just to trip me? By some evil pranskter? Called Tripolore?

Regardless, like all life-altering traumas ;), it all happened so quickly. I rolled over my foot and then pulled myself back up in a milisecond, but it was enough for me to realize instantly that I would not be finishing my twenty miles this week. Or maybe next week. Which puts a serious cramp in my goal for a thousand miles this year in only the second week of February. Bummer. I am officially out with an ankle.

Since I'm in the infirmary, and can not write about my current running affairs, I'll post a couple of pictures that pay tribute to two things: First is Sixpack's dogged determination to run the fire trails. Most people probably could not fathom why he keeps going to these steep and treacherous paths. Those of us who have experienced Brokeback Mountain first hand, however, know how hard it is to quit them. Which brings me to the second item, which is the passing of our old friend Ennis Del Mar. In honor of these two things are a couple of pics from Karneval in which we found ourselves dressing up as cowboys and getting drunk. And running. And repeating the cycle. Indeed, I managed to still run 15 miles in spite of the madness, and would have kept pace for an eighty mile month if this week wasn't ruined. So I was very pleased I could misbehave and stay disciplined all at the same time. Which really must be want drunkrunning is all about, right?





Way to go, everybody who is running right now. Keep up the great work! ;)

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

I must say, you make a convincing Ennis Del Mar in that outfit! Tessa is H-O-T, HOT!
Bummer about the ankle. Take it easy and get back on that horse as soon as you feel you can. In the meantime don't neglect the amazing benefits of ant-inflammatories!

Keep it up, you can still do 1000 this year.

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Excellent beard!!! Yay!!!! It is filling in nicely. Sorry to hear about the ankle - big bummer. Although, I have a hard time believing you weren't more than just tipsy, simply because you referred to yourself and a "pub" in the same sentence ;)