Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Well, when you put it like that...

Inspired by Deetschei's calculations and retrospection, I decided to tally up my miles for the last year since my first post 8/04. In my not-so-subtle competative way, I had hoped to rival him in terms of distance (clearly I am dillusional, but I stress the words had hoped). Nevertheless, given the numerous work-related interruptions of the last year (not taking into account laying by the pool sippin' vodka tonics), I take pride in my 485.65 miles/70:12:11 (that is almost three days of running). While there have been no marathons, I have also managed to drink all the margaritas in Texas approximately 3 times. (By the way, congrats to Deetschei on clearing up that nasty little STD... - wink wink, nudge nudge).

Additionally, I also trained in solidarity for the 2007 Bay to Breakers while simultaneously recruiting my sister to become a DrunkRunner. While I know this is all about reflecting on the past year, I like to look forward to what lays ahead: the 2008 Houston Marathon. I am thirty, which really means nothing these days, since apparently 30 is the new 12, so they say... Anywho, I'd really like to complete a marathon this year. Not that thirty is old and not that I can't complete a marathon at 31 or 51... It is just a personal goal of mine. As I believe I have remarked in past postings, my biggest accomplishment has been my ability to stick with running on a regular basis (with a few exceptions - hey, we've all had them). I, too, feel that longing when I can't run but see others out on the street. Hell, there have been days when I've gone running and later in the day see people running and think to myself, "hey self, I'd really like to go running again..." I attribute quite a bit of my continued running success to the blog and to all of you who have contributed and who continue to contribute. Remember that "not-so-subtle" competative nature I referred to earlier, well that certainly plays a big part, when I hear your successes. I am inspired!

Alright, before Sixpax breaks out another box of tissue to wipe his weepy eyes, I will conclude by saying that I am looking forward to our second birthday!

Briefly, I have started taking our dog on runs. While he might beat me on the first two miles, I've totally got him on the last two. I hereby declare Manni an honorary Drunk Runner. He and I recently completed a 3.5 mi run with an 8:15 pace! Granted, his four legs are definitely faster than my two.


I am gradually managing to bring down my times again. Yesterday I ran 3.5 mi at a pace of 7:54!!! SWEET NIBLETS! Now I just need to start lengthening those runs.

Keep running and keep posting! And everybody give a warm welcome to my sis, Ginifer!

4 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

those are a lot of miles P.P., and now I am really going to have to start with the speed work again because you are getting fizzast!
BTW, the STD is doing just fine, the doctor prescribed me a topical solution, which i started taking shortly after i licked all of your bowls and silverware ;)

i can't wait for manny's first post.

happy blog-birthday P.P.!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Birthday! You go girl...er, and dog

Sixpack Chopra said...

Way to go, P.P. 485 miles is very, very impressive!!!! I'm so jealous of the 7:54. I don't think I've run that since were training for the first B2B as the Hayes Street Haters (a T-shirt that always gets nice comments here in the city!)

You are doing great, and I applaud your sticking with it through the mosquitoes, the heat, the dog, the Ben, the margaritas, and whatever other obstacles there might be there in Texas! I'm there for Houston, Baby!

Clyde S. Dale said...

I'm gonna have to tally my miles but I know I won't come close to yours. Great numbers and awesome time on the last run. Keep it up and you could qualify for Boston first time out. Happy Blog birthday!