Friday, August 03, 2007

From your Fearless Leader (!?!)

It's been a long hard summer. The kind I never want to relive. During the past 3 weeks I have not been running, but I've been running myself ragged. I've been in this office chair so long I think my ass is turning into foam rubber. The good news: the writing is finished. What this means for Drunkrunners is that I can read while lying down, which will help me recover a little faster.
True to Forest's predicament, I am being sent back to the Dr. for treatment of a pinched nerve. The PT was able to alleviate the symptoms, but never get rid of them. So, maybe some cortisone, maybe some yummy pain meds. We'll see what he decides to do. In any event, I will be getting back in the pool, I promise.
Not being able to run, I have put myself on the Jared Diet, and it's working. I've lost about 5 pounds and have helped keep a positive attitude in the absence of running. I still look longingly as a jogger goes past, and when I saw the woman in the Nike Women's Marathon shirt yesterday it was all I could do not to tell her how proud I was that she was still running. A perfect stranger! This is what it has come to for me. Yes, I've run two marathons, and hope to run many more, but I'm not in competition with others. For those of you that know me well, know that that is a big step for me. This running thing has really brought me the perspective that we are all in this race together, and we should be more supportive of each other. Yes, it's a blast to sit around a talk smack, and be all catty, but in the end I wish nothing but the best for my fellow runners, and even more than the best for my fellow DrunkRunners! (How's that for some bad grammar, Tequila?)
In other news, I'd like to bring your attention to a comment by "Amy" to PP's post on July 24. I submit this as proof that people know we are out there. The Drunk Runner craze is cathing on. Right now it seems more like lighting a cigarette in a tornado, but I'll take what we can get!
This weekend I will be sititng by the pool and thinking of you all as I relax in the California sun and recover from some of the damage my body has suffered over the past weeks.

May the force be with you!

2 comments:

dr. deetschei said...

hey man! great post. i know exactly how you feel when looking at other runners. :) enjoy the pool, and relax. you'll be back on your feet in no time. i can't wait, and you have to check out what Nike has done with the challenges page. it's out of control and very, very cool.

Clyde S. Dale said...

I second the other runner sentiment. I actually find myself wanting to stop and cheer on an over weight person I see out running and atleast trying to make there lives better. Keep upthe good work, and next don't just think it do it, tell them you are glad they run, that you know the grit and determination they have.