Friday, August 04, 2006

I used to be a Runner. Once.

Once upon a time, in a far far away land (California), I used to be a runner. By definition, according to the "New" Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus, a "runner" is "a person who or animal which runs, esp. in a race." Well, I'm no goat but I am a person and I did manage to run in a race, once. See! I even have a picture to prove it.


Never, never in a million years, did I imagine that I would sign up, train for, and cross the finish line (1:02:10) of a race. I have to give mad props to my running partners deetschei and moose. Without the two of them, I would never have discovered that, at the age of 29, I could still sprint a 7.20 mile. I also wouldn't have realized how important it is to have a support group (people to talk to, to help motivate you, and to kick your ass when you don't think you can run another step). I am not a completely reformed pessimist, but I am certainly well on my way.

Although I am currently not training for a race, I still lace up my shoes, pound the rubber band, and try to log my weekly miles. I can't quit running. Sometimes my bad knees make quitting look really appealing, but I am hooked! You all know what I mean. The feeling you get when you haven't run in a few days and your legs grow restless. The feeling of slipping into your broken-in, trusty running shoes. The thought of passing your mile markers, the sights, the sounds. The playlist you strategically compiled, so that your favorite song kicks in and keeps you going right when you feel like you can't go any further. The days when you don't want to run, but after you do, you can't believe you ever felt that way. But I'm preaching to the choir, right?

Okay. Lets get down to business. My stats are crap and I am fine with that.

Yesterday's Run: 7 miles
Time: 67:30
Yesterday's Temperature + Humidity: 96 Fahrenheit (avg. 75% humidity)
Place: Boring Old Treadmill in my airconditioned apartment complex gym (with a view of the pool)
Overall Impression: I've had easier days.
Avg. Miles per Week: 20-25

I am running to get skinny, look fab in my swimsuit and to keep eating cheese guilt-free, so I am not following any training plan but my own (run long and slow to burn lots of calories and not pass out while doing it). This does not mean that I am not already contemplating my next race. While I am not quite as ambitious as deetschei and moose, I am thinking about a half marathon (gotta learn to walk before you run, baby). I just don't know when or where yet. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Sixpack Chopra said...

Hater -
Check out the link to Marathonguide.com most races in the country are listed here. It's a great resource. You can search by date or location. I think you can even limit it to 1/2 marathons, but since most 1/2 marathons are scheduled with full marathons there shouldn't be much of an issue.

dr. deetschei said...

GET SKINNY?!?! that's funny, calista ;)
dude, i'll bet you're running more than enough now to do the marathon program i do! in fact, you probably run more than i do per week. check some of the programs out. You could totally do it, haterella!(if you wanted to, that is)