Thursday, September 27, 2007

Lance Armstrong Spoke to Me!

Well, it's week two of BFL, and week 3 of marathon training. So, after getting home from my painting class at midnight, I set my alarm for 7:30 a.m. and got up to do today's 3 mile run. I was a little worried, as the symptoms of my pinched nerve may have moved to the other cheek. I woke up this morning with the dull ache of a pinced sciatic nerve in my left glute.
Not to be deterred, I bounced out of bed, put on my shoes, and headed out the door. Then I had to come back in, because I had completely forgotten shorts and a shirt. It's a liberal city, but there are limits. I decided to go again to Kezar stadium for two reasons.

1) It's flat, and I'm still trying to gain some speed.
2) It's measured so I could check the calibration of my Nike+.

It was a great run. It's a beautiful day here. 76 degrees is the predicted high, and the sun is ashining! The track was beautiful, and not too crowded. The first mile went well, and before I knew it I was 1/2 way done. Then I noticed something! I was actually speeding up a little bit. According to my stopwatch I did the final mile in 10 minutes. Even Lance came on to tell me that I had run a new personal record for the mile!!!
I realized that this was a new personal record with the new chip, but considering my recent start from scratch I was totally psyched to hear him! My chip tells me my pace was 10:29! That's a 45 second improvement on my pace, since tuesday!!!!!!!
Now, an issue. The chip measured 3 miles at the same point the track measured almost 3.25 miles. I clearly need to calibrate the chip to get better accuracy. This improved accuracy would also improve my pace. According to my stopwatch my pace was just a hair over 10:00/mile. Woo Hoo!!!!
So, that's my excitement for the week. I need to stretch when I get home, because I'm still having those butt pains, but I've dealt with these for years. Especially when I was a bartender. I know how to get rid of them.

Stats:
Run: 3 miles
Pace: 10:00
Overall Impression: I'm the Man, Man! And Get the F*%$, Outta My Way!! (ITMM!AGTFOMW!)

1 comment:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Sweet bippy! Excellent news - minus the pinched nerve in the cheek. I did another 2.5 last night at just under a 10:00 pace. I'll try posting soon, so you aren't the sole Drunk Runner putting up numbers. Am planning to run with Ginifer on Sunday. Will report back then. Keep it up!