Friday, September 21, 2007

Body-Till-Death

I do believe after today's run that the program we are on should be renamed the Body-Till-Death, as it is more appropriate to it's clear goal of driving me to my deathbed as soon as possible. Steve and I have been on the Body-for-Life program for 4 days now. I've done all of the workouts and they are tough. Let me tell you. The upper body workout left my arms tired for the rest of the day. And the lower body workout yesterday? I'm sore, sore, sore. I'm talking yesterday was a marathon sore. In fact, the 3-mile run I went on this morning was the hardest run I've had since the last three miles of the San Francisco Marathon over a year ago. It was hell!
I knew it was going to be tough, so I went to Kezar stadium where I could measure the run precisely, and most importantly it's flat. Having a level playing field, I knew, was the only way I was going to make it through. And boy was I right. In a three mile run, the fastest, I repeat the FASTEST mile, was 11:30. That's pretty slow. And it just got worse. I was so sore, it was all I could do to just keep running. I was ready to quit at 6 laps, then Sybil, damn her! said I could do 2 miles. Then the bitch said that if I finished two miles I should at least do 2 more laps to make this run a little longer, which was the purpose of the run. Of course, at 2.5 miles I might as well finish. On the last lap, I chanted "Running Without my Body" and it worked. I finished the lap in a record 3:11. I felt great!!!!
Well, I felt great to have finished and to have pushed myself to do a run that I wouldn't normally have taken on. I am still sore, and will be sore even tomorrow.

The good news is that I'm feeling great. We are sticking very strictly to the diet and enjoying more energy already. You'll soon be be hearing more about how the weight is coming off and how the running is going, but for now, I'm thrilled.

Cheers,
Sixpack Chopra
Your Leader

P.S. Thanks Amy for the last comment. It was very encouraging to hear that your husband had been so successful.

2 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Oh geez! Kezar Stadium? Well that is part of your problem right there. Anytime someone puts me on a track to run circle after circle, I feel like the run is never going to end. I am proud that you pushed through it though. Sadly, the second day of soreness is always the worst! Take an Aleve and keep stretching. How is Steve doing with the exercise?

Sixpack Chopra said...

he's doing great! He's done all of his workouts in the first 5 days!!!!! That's amazing. He's staying on the food plan. Although I still have to convince him that an apple has no protein. :-)

I'm feeling better today, but still really sore. Not so sore that I couldn't do my upper body work though. Running 3 miles again tomorrow.