Monday, September 17, 2007

12-Steps and my Body-For-Life

It's strange to say, but I/we are getting very excited for the beginning the Body-For-Life program. This is going to seem a little bit like a 12 step program, but I want you all to know about it, so that there is plenty of accountability. You know that part during AA where you have to apologize to all your friends, etc. Well, this is kind of like that.

I'm not exactly sure what I expect from the program, but here are my goals:
1) As of this writing I weight 200 lbs. (I just weighed myself) and have 22% bodyfat. Clearly, I would like that to be a little lower. I'm not wanting to look like Arnold, but would be happy to drop my bodyfat by about 10 points, and lower my weight to something under 190.
2) Feel better on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad most days, but there are some when I just feel sluggish and worn out. I don't think that will happen after a few weeks on the program.
3) Get stronger. I'm in the weightlifting class, and will incorporate BFL into that class.
4) Get ready for the marathon. I'm pretty sure the plan will accomodate my training, but I will be monitoring it closely as the miles are added on. I may need to up some calories later on, but I'll see how that goes.
5) Enjoy life!

As a further point, I'm giving you the opportunity to see my before pictures, before there is an after. it also fulfills my promise to submit speedo pictures, although at this point in the game they aren't great. If it weren't the most humiliating thing I think I've done, and therefore the most motivating, I wouldn't even be posting them here. But a promise is a promise. WARNING: If you have never seen a German in a Speedo, you might consider skipping the next section.



So there you have it. That is the body that I hope to get rid of over the next 12 weeks. I know I can count on your support, and my BFL updates will become part of my running posts for the next 12 weeks or more.

Now on to running:

I ran the full 6 miles my program calls for this week. I didn't run the two miles yesterday that I was supposed to, but I did put them on today, which was great. I had a nice run right here by the house. It's a little hilly for week one, but it was good. I'm feeling good, leg/back pain is not bad. Very minor, and I assume this will work itself out as I lose a little weight. We'll see.
Stats:

Distance: 4 miles

Time: 43:06

Average Mile: 10:45 / mile

Overall Impression: Hey, Who's That Riding On My Back? (HWTROMB?)

2 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Major major props to you for posting pics of yourself in a speedo! I would not be caught dead in a swimsuit right now. You rock. Keep up the work. I am still trying to get back into the game! I am eager to hear if this whole program works. It seemed to work for Rob, but it is definitely something you have to be able to stick to if you want to continue to see the results...

P.S. Clearly a shower and not a ...

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your program. My husband has tried and enjoyed the body for life. It really kickstarted him into his own version of it with lifting, cardio and diet that he has been able to maintain for years.