Thursday, September 13, 2007

Quack Quack Quack

Well, after 6 weeks I finally went to see the PM&R doctor. I'll spare you the lecture he gave me about my IT Band, which took way too long, I knew was not the answer, and which he himself admitted was about 30% likely to have been the source of my problem.
The other 70% is what the PT told me months ago: I more than likely have a bulging disk in the L4, L5 area and that is putting pressure on the Sciatic nerve. Glad I waited 6 weeks for a Dr. to tell me that. He also said there is not much that can be done to treat it. Things like ice, pain killers, and accupuncture can help with the symptoms, but recovery has to happen on its own. So, I'm going to try accupuncture and see what that does. He gave me a referral. At the very least I would like to have some time without pain. Oh, and my favorite line: If you are still in pain in 6 weeks, come back to see me. Which means I'll be seen 6 weeks from then. Ugh. I hope this just works itself out on its own.
Running/training news. Many of you know that my partner Steve could use to lose a little weight. He's been telling me for five years that his diet will start next week. Well, next week is Monday. We've taken a look at the Body-for-Life program and it works for us [I'm too lazy to figure out the hyperlink right now, but check it out at www.bodyforlife.com]. It's a lot of exercise, which he and I both need, and the meals are doable. I'll be eating some crow as part of my Body-For-Life, as I have spent the past 3 years making fun of Rob and the fact that we all have our Body For Life, I mean isn't that the definition of Life? I'm even using Rob's extra copy of the book. I won't even get into the fact that Rob had two copies.
But, we need to do something pretty drastic, really strict, and with good guidelines so we can get Steve on track. The hardest thing is going to be scheduling meals around Steve's burger tasting, but I'll be working on that. I'm really looking forward to the program, especially the exercise. The major change I will be making is that instead of following his Cardio workout, I'll be training for the race. Otherwise, you'll be finding me lifting weights 3 days a week, and running 3 days a week. I'm psyched.
I haven't run yet today, but will be putting in two miles. I'm headed to the RSF after a few meetings. I'll update later this week with results.

3 comments:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

Will wonders never cease? You do have to eat some crow. Better you than me. :) Glad to hear that Steve is on board! Besides, going on a plan like that works better when you have a partner to help support you. Good luck, I am eager to hear if you keep your body for life or decide to trade it in in a few months...

Clyde S. Dale said...

I just wanted to tell you that the inversion table is working rather well for me, my pain gets less and less every week. My PT Wendy described it like this. if you have a balloon and it's fully inflated it can hold a lot of pressure. As the air starts to leak out ( like the fluid in your discs) the pressure increases and the weekest part of the disc pushes out. it takes a long time to heal with the pressure on it, but if you can take the pressure of (like with the table) then it will help the disc pull back in and strengthen. continue to do your core excercises and work your hips and stretch three times a day not just when you run. I am looking into a procedure where they put a gell back into your disc to reinflate it and take some of the pressure off. I'll let you know. Good luck to you and Steve. Being over weight like Steve, I know how much better he will feel when he drops the pounds.

Sixpack Chopra said...

Thanks, Forest, for the info on the inversion table. I'm still considering it. So far my BFL is helping, but there's still some pain.